Muffler to make quad4 sound good?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
GT_Indy

Muffler to make quad4 sound good?

Post by GT_Indy »

At the moment I have a cheap single muffler replacement on the 90 gtz just to keep it quiet.
What would be a good stainless option that makes a nice tone instead of the rice burner sound I get now?
Something not loud but a little sound that sounds good.

jackattack193

Re: Muffler to make quad4 sound good?

Post by jackattack193 »

Here’s my 2cents, it will be long winded:

I have always been a fan of Dynomax mufflers. Granted I have a 6cyl, the Dynomax Super Turbo made for the Beretta gave this motor the best sound IMO. Actually for a short time, relatively speaking, Dynomax actually made a full cat-back kit for the Beretta’s. That’s what I ran on mine back in the day. When it was installed, I also put a high flow catalytic converter on too. What I really liked about it was that it was a “turbo” dual outlet muffler, rather than a single outlet with a dual tip. It sounded really good.

I found out about Dynomax through a friend of mine who was running the same system on his 90 GTZ. Naturally it had a different sound because he had the Quad 4, but it sounded so good on his I ordered one for my GTU. Keep in mind, this was before the internet and sound clips and no one in my area had a Dynomax on a Beretta or even on a Z24 for that matter – and these were really popular cars back then, but I took the chance thinking it would sound really good on the 6cyl and it did. I got compliments all the time on how the car sounded.

Here’s another reason I continue to like Dynomax. IIRC, the Dynomax system was put on my car in 1995. Several years later, the muffler broke up inside. By then, the specific Dynomax Beretta muffler or cat-back kit was obsolete. I changed it out for an off brand “turbo” muffler that sounded decent, but not as good as the dynomax. It was a single outlet. I don’t why, but I was always hung up on wanting a dual tipped performance muffler. Anyway, a couple more years go by and I’m cleaning up some papers and I come across my original receipt from when I purchased the cat-back system and I see written on it: “Lifetime Warranty.” By now, the shop I ordered the muffler from was long out of business.

So I called Dynomax. I explained that I had the receipt, but that the muffler was long gone and I didn’t know any better to keep it because of the warranty. You know what – they honored the warranty. All I had to do was send them a copy of the original receipt and they allowed me to get a replacement muffler. Like I said, no more Beretta mufflers available. Although the “Cavalier” muffler Dynomax had was not quite as long, I thought it would give me that sound again, but of course they were obsolete as well. So, I ran with the dimensions of the original muffler and found a close match and received it in the mail about a week later. It sat in my shed for years until I did a resto on my car in 2011-2012 and had it installed. It too is a dual outlet muffler. Knowing one day I’d use them, I bought a set of used Z04 tips from someone who had either a GTZ or a Z26 with a bad muffler. Then, when it was time, I cut the tips so they were individual, cleaned and polished them and welded them on the dynomax dual tip muffler I’m running now. The sound is so nostalgic. I never thought I was going to get that sound again, but I got lucky.

So, if you’ve made it this far, I’m sold on Dynomax and that’s why. Thanks for reading – good luck finding your happy sound.

BTW – you got some really nice cars there, I checked them out, thanks for posting them.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I read the whole thing. Makes me remember the sound from my old 88 GT that had the factory dual outlet muffler. Sounded great.

How loud was it though? The quad is okay but over 3000 rpm and the engines drone/loudness gets to me a little bit. Under WOT and higher rpm does what you have get loud or is a a little quieter?

I know the 3.1 v6 is overall quieter than the quad4. My minty 90 Indy needs a stainless pipe and muffler the next time it comes out and its quiet with basically no muffler at any rpm. But the quad, loud. lol
The quad4 with a fist sized hole in the previous muffler was way way to much. lol

jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

I need to emphasize we're talking over 2 decades ago regarding the sound of the GTZ with a super turbo muffler. As I remember, it wasn't raspy. I would see him a lot on the road and it always had a really nice note to it. If you heard it, you knew it was a performance exhaust. But it wasn't obnoxious. I would imagine at WOT on a rev it would probably get raspy, but in driving conditions it always sounded good. It's hard for me to describe the sound, maybe like a deep, hollow sound. I know that doesn't help. I never rode in his car, so as far as any uncomfortable drone, I can't speculate. I only heard it from outside, especially when he would drive by.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

jackattack193 wrote:I need to emphasize we're talking over 2 decades ago regarding the sound of the GTZ with a super turbo muffler. As I remember, it wasn't raspy. I would see him a lot on the road and it always had a really nice note to it. If you heard it, you knew it was a performance exhaust. But it wasn't obnoxious. I would imagine at WOT on a rev it would probably get raspy, but in driving conditions it always sounded good. It's hard for me to describe the sound, maybe like a deep, hollow sound. I know that doesn't help. I never rode in his car, so as far as any uncomfortable drone, I can't speculate. I only heard it from outside, especially when he would drive by.
I think I know what you mean. I have a nice deep tone on my 455 but inside that car I get drone sounds because my pipes aren't finished out the back. I was mostly considering the drone inside the Beretta from the quad4, I feel it is a bit loud for me. lol

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I'm also a fan of Dynomax stuff. I actually had a universal 2" Dynomax Super Turbo on my Q4 in high school, but it also had no cat and it was pretty raspy. No sounds clips though during the dawn of the 640x480px digital camera. haha

I have a Dynomax VT on my v6 now. I like the sound. The valve keeps it pretty quiet during normal driving and opens up for good flow and more volume at heavy throttle.They are discontinued now and you can't buy the universal, but there are still some application-specific ones in stock at Summit that you could cut up and use.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... =Ascending

Here's a sound clip. You can't even hear it idle at all until I dump the clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VHEW2dnfg

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

That looks good. I wonder how long that spring lasts.
We have an S10 that a mouse always likes to pack seeds up the muffler, that valve looks like a good idea for it. lol

I know there is a member (I believe his car is called cocaine?) Who has nothing just the 4 header pipes out the front fender. I honestly don't know how he can handle the noise. lol

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

My car has been a summer DD for 6 years with the VT. I drive so many short trips (1mi commute to work) that the stainless pipe rusted out but the spring is still perfect. There are some pics of my muffler rebuild in my build thread. Simple enough job, and definitely worth it to keep the valve feature.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I think thats what happen to my minty Indy and my 90 GTZ. Previous owners had a lot of shorter trips and the pipes rusted from the inside. lol