Getrag shift cables

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
88Mera

Re: Getrag shift cables

Post by 88Mera »

If all the trans arms have the square hole I would have them made with the ball socket ends. These are also threaded on so that may help if we find different length cables.

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=37

I have to take some pictures showing how to measure the cables. Spring is my busy time of the year but I should be able to get these made. Would be available late summer/fall.

Rodney Dickman

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

What I would like to see is how these attach to the shifter and trans bracket. No the ends of the cable. Where the clips go to hold them to the bracket and shifter assemble. Specifically the ones with the bigger V groove in them.

Thanks
Rodney

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'm happy to see this much movement and talk on shift cables. It has been a long time that users have been complaining about this and to potentially have a solution in the works is awesome.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

Jon will finally swap a 5 speed !

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

weba wrote:I dug up the old shift cables I still had,

What I need to see are the brackets on the transmission these cables attached to that have the deep wide V. The Getrag in the Fiero's used both style cable ends on the transmission but they both fit in the bracket used on the Getrag in the Fiero. I need to see this before I can move on with this.

Thanks
Rodney

Stencil
Administrator

Post by Stencil »

Rodney,

There is a small aluminum bracket which bolts to the transmission that holds the cables in place. Here are some pictures of one on the transmission and off the transmission. I could easily send one to you if you'd like for the reproduction.
Attachments
IMG_5250[1].JPG
IMG_5249[1].JPG
IMG_5248[1].JPG

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

Stencil wrote:Rodney,

There is a small aluminum bracket which bolts to the transmission that holds the cables in place. Here are some pictures of one on the transmission and off the transmission. I could easily send one to you if you'd like for the reproduction.
If you have a shift or select (or both) cable on hand see how well the shifter end of the cable fits/bolts into this bracket. It should fit just fine. It is similar to the Fiero bracket where both cable end styles fit. If the shifter end fits well and secure it is settled that the cables I will make will have the same end on both sides and will be like the ends that attach to the shifter assembly.

What we need to look at next will be lengths and travel measurements. I'll work on that soon.

Thanks
Rodney

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

This is how to measure the length of the sheath. I need this measurement from as many of you as possible. Both shift and select.

For convenience I made them both 1000 mm. That is not the actual length of the cables I have on hand.

Thanks
Rodney
Attachments
DSC06287.jpg
DSC06286.jpg
DSC06285.jpg
DSC06284.jpg

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

I also need compressed and extended lengths.

Compressed. The top one is about 103 mm. Measured to the center of the hole. The bottom one is about 75 mm to the center of the hole.
Attachments
DSC06290.jpg
DSC06288.jpg

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

Extended lengths.

The top one is about 165 mm. The bottom one is about 128 mm.
Attachments
DSC06291.jpg
DSC06289.jpg

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

So if everyone that helps out here can tell me:

Shift or select cable
Sheath length
Compressed length
Extended length.

Thanks
Rodney Dickman

88Mera

Post by 88Mera »

We can talk about the cable ends on the shifter end. On the Fiero they use a hair pin. I made a bolt in conversion pin. This is the same on the shifter arm and the select lever on the shifter. Grind the backside. Hammer out the old pin. Bolt in the new pin. Possibly this is the way I would make these cables. Everyone would need to change the pins on the shifter arm and select lever.
Attachments
DSC06265.JPG
DSC06263.JPG
DSC06280.jpg
DSC06281.jpg

Stencil
Administrator

Post by Stencil »

I'll get some cables measured up for you this weekend Rodney. Although I don't think I have a tape measure with MM on it :(

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

I have a set of shifter arms off my trans shoot me your address and I'll send them on their way

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line
bpwflorida

Post by bpwflorida »

I hope you can move forward on making these. I really need a set.