Droopy front air dam

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Mkweaver1958

Droopy front air dam

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Anyone figure out a way to raise a drooping center section of the front air dam on an Indy?
Mine is well below where it should be and I'd like to raise it back into position.
Brackets or anything to push it back up and forward?
Any suggestions are welcome.
I hate the occasional sound as it hits the parking space stops or speed bumps.
Thanks

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: Droopy front air dam

Post by heavywoody »

Some have had success forming an aluminum (or other material) bar that attaches to the lower bolts for the hood latch support, and having that go straight out to fit into the curve of the front lip, to help hold it up and give it some deflection reinforcement.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Mkweaver1958

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Thank you,
If anyone has a picture or illustration that shows this, that would be great!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Check out whiteretta's "Deretta" thread -long read, but lots of pictures, I believe he used small turnbuckle-type rods to help pull his chin-spoiler up. Though not 100% hidden, it has a bit of a 'racer' look, that isn't bad or out of place on a race-edition car like a GTU or Indy. I need to do something on my GTU too (same chin as the Indys), but mine will also have to fix the complete split down the middle that mine came to me with. I will say to be careful how stiffly you support the chin -they were made flexible for a reason, and they sit too low to clear most parking-curbs anyway. Something that allows for minor deformation without holding it out-of-place after deflection would be ideal. A simple support with a flexible plastic panel attached to the back of the chin might be the best way to go.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26