How to handle an out of state sale?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
jene

Post by jene »

This will be the first time i will be selling a car to someone out of state and have no clue how to handle this. I have a fellow from bstuff, cant remember his name and I know he is a newb, coming from NY or PE or something and should be buying my Z26. He is goinb to call me when he gets here. Now I know I am liable for the car until my name comes off the title. Is there a way to handle this in CO? Or do I have to wait until he gets back to his home state. If he drives it all the way across the US, am I still liable for it?? Also I cant give him my tags... is there a way locally to handle that too for him??

I want him to have this car and buy it, but I dont want to get the scrooge in the end. I want this deal to go down smoothly...

any help would be awesome!! I really hope he does buy it because I want a Jeep!

Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

Around here there are autotag places that can transfer over the title and plates. He will probably need new plates as well since it is out of state.  When I bought rex's car we wrote up a piece of paper saying I bought the car and all supporting details.(price, vin, etc). When I got home I went to an auto tag place and they did everything for me but I towed it home.

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

You should be able to get a temporary registration (some times they're called a drive-away permit) which is usually valid for around a week to ten days.

Cliff Scott
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Transfer the title to him there in CO.

You should be able to get some sort of "In-transit" plate from the DMV in CO... since he doesn't live there and won't need registration for CO.

The rest is up to him when he returns home.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Mr. Beefy

Post by Mr. Beefy »

When I bought the GTZ I sent the money with a tracking number. In turn he sent me the title and a letter stating the details of the sale with tracking also. Then I took that, transfered plates and insurance. All legal. However all states are different. I have bought a car in FL once that I went to one of their private tag places and got a 20 day "out of state" temp tags. I know that they do that in NJ also with the temporary tags for out of state buyers. They just need to show proof of some kind of insurance.

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
speedygtz

Post by speedygtz »

after you "purchase" a car, means getting it in your name, in pa, you have 10 days to do as you please with it, you can scrap it, burn it, or get it legalized on the tenth day if you please. but untill them ten days are up, you dont need plates,registration,or insurance papers. so if he gets it from there, to here, in those 10 days, he should be fine. and also, get the title transfered where you are, im sure the dmv can do whatever they need to do when he gets it back here.

the z26 is on the road!
jene

Post by jene »

okee dokee but smokies!!!  Thanks guys!!

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

You are NOT responsible for anything he OR the car may do once you sign the title over and strip your plates. Fill out a bill of sale ,both of you sign and date with a witness or 2 , each keep a copy. This shows proof you no longer had possession nor control of the vehicle after that date and time. From there, tags, insurance and legality are his problems. GL.

jene

Post by jene »

Hahaha... Thats what I was thinking.. but thats not what judge judy says!!  rofl...

I hope it is that easy.. it might be. i guess I will call tomorrow and find out!

SuzukiGhostRider

**** Judge Judy. She's a mean old hag anyhow. Trust me, I'm right. I've bought and sold A LOT of cars , in a lot of states, and that's the way I've ALWAYS done it. Don't make it harder than it is.

jene

Post by jene »

No Im not making it harder.. I am making sure it is done the right way so we dont get screwed in the end. If it is still in our name and he drives it home and wrecks it... guess who is liable?? or it breaks down and leaves it... then it gets towed and guess who gets the bill??  my mother had that happen before... sold the car to the brother  and then before it got out of her name he drive it to idaho and it broke down so he left it. She is the one who got the bill... I would rather make sure my butt is covered before something goes wrong...

and judge judy is awesome!! hahaha.. if you knew me... you would see her and i are a lot alike... both mean a$$ b#$ches! I even have my gavel set on my living room table for when I have to put my family in line...lol

SuzukiGhostRider

(jene @ May 20 2008,23:28)QUOTE... If it is still in our name and he drives it home and wrecks it... guess who is liable?? or it breaks down and leaves it... then it gets towed and guess who gets the bill??  .....
He is, and he is. That's what the SIGNED, DATED, and if it makes you feel better , Notarized bill of sale is for. Then you are released from ALL liability with that proof. And get a copy of his DL while you're at it.

95Z26beretta

Post by 95Z26beretta »

you have afew options, u can have him wire u money or paypal in return when the money is recieved u send him the title signed over and he can get plates and everything switched over to his name so its all done when he picks up the car. Option "B"  do like what I always do and have had people do it for both the seller and I get a bill of sale written up professionally which if u need a copy I can figure out how to forward mine over to u, then u contact your insurance company when to pull it off. When I drove down to Mo to buy the Indy I brought a dmv form with and a set of plates that were going on the car, had rustin sign a bill of sale gave me that and a signed title that he signed off as a seller and I signed it right away as a buyer which made everything legal.

1992 Quasar Quad GTZ
2004 F150 FX4 Edition
jene

Post by jene »

(SuzukiGhostRider @ May 21 2008,01:00)QUOTE
(jene @ May 20 2008,23:28)QUOTE... If it is still in our name and he drives it home and wrecks it... guess who is liable?? or it breaks down and leaves it... then it gets towed and guess who gets the bill??  .....
He is, and he is. That's what the SIGNED, DATED, and if it makes you feel better , Notarized bill of sale is for. Then you are released from ALL liability with that proof. And get a copy of his DL while you're at it.
NO... Like i said before My mother has been thru it before.. at least on the stranded, considered abandoned by the state it was in, part. Her name was not off the title yet, although she signed it.. but she was still liable.. trust me. He broke down in Iowa actually, not Idaho. And he left it there... and THEY CAME AFTER HER!! Not him... first hand experience with that one.. so trust me.

Seriously, I dont think I would be worried if that had not happened to her... The thought probably wouldnt of even crossed my mind.. Seeing what happened with her on that situation is the biggest reason why I asked and am making sure I do it right...  

DUNCAN05

Post by DUNCAN05 »

(jene @ May 20 2008,23:28)QUOTEI even have my gavel set on my living room table for when I have to put my family in line...lol
haha.................that **** is funny

Winner of the Endless Ride Award Berettafest 2007 (3,630mi RT)
Bring Berettafest back West!
If you have a nice set of dew strips please PM me.