Ok People

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
2nejunkie

Ok People

Post by 2nejunkie »

Ok B-Net people.
(Rex I watched the wrx video)
I need to decide.
I really think I wanna rebuild the ol' Q4.
But I have 6 cyl fever.
My options are:
1: Rebuild Quad.
2: transplant 3400 from 99 minivan to Burrito.
3: Just say Screw it all drive the Van!

We all know wifey says drive the van. So we will avoid that part.
Like an idiot the 1st used motor i bought was a 94 Q4 and I blew it in under 800 miles. Supposedly 70k on it. Now the replacement is a TRUE 90 block and heads. Idiot already gave the 94 back...
Get W41 head and rebuild?
Can this Q4 be built in a manner to hold the abuse of an ignorant Polak?!
Or
Do i just stick to the 6 cyl.
Really need help from the pros on this 1. Gas cost too much!

90 GTZ OBDII Intercooled Turbo 3400 5 speed (Beretta #16)
Wifey's car = 94 Cavalier Z24
Winter Rat = 99 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (1.5)
No one is more ignorant than those who falsely believe they are Free!
Asylum

Ok People

Post by Asylum »

For my take, build the 3400.

I think I have proven, and so have alot of otheres, just how strong those motors are.

You don't hear about blown 3400's (The 3500 is STILL better, but use what you have!)

You sure as hell hear about all sorts blown up Quads.

And this is from a guy with a 13 second V6 and a MINT California Quad.

My .02

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

Ok People

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Just remember that you will need to change the springs and swaybars if you go with the V6. To keep the cost down I'd build a Q4,but I'm no pro. I think you may have to bump you comp ratio up to get full use of the W41 head and cams. Those are big cams and you may use almost as much gas as the V6. Also you should have to get a chip to get the most out of it. Sell the Mirage DE to pay for all of this?

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Ok People

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Do the Quad. The W41 cams will go right in, and you'll still get 30+ mpg and make just as much power , if not more, as a stock 3400. And more power than a 3.1/3100 for sure. Quads are like any other motor, you get what you give. Maintain it with proper service and maintenance and you'll never be sorry. I can give all sorts of examples of Quad iron from personal experience.

If you go W41, you'll want a custom chip to raise the redline to W41 specs among other things.

wicked-irocz

Ok People

Post by wicked-irocz »

rebuild the quad and never get on it until it is fully up to temperature.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
2nejunkie

Ok People

Post by 2nejunkie »

(Money pit Beretta @ Jul. 23 2008,23:37)QUOTEJust remember that you will need to change the springs and swaybars if you go with the V6. To keep the cost down I'd build a Q4,but I'm no pro. I think you may have to bump you comp ratio up to get full use of the W41 head and cams. Those are big cams and you may use almost as much gas as the V6. Also you should have to get a chip to get the most out of it. Sell the Mirage DE to pay for all of this?
I think She'd kick my butt if I sold her car lol. But I'd LOVE to!
Looking like the Q4 is the most popular.
I've heard that ya shouldnt whoop it till its temped.
Thanks for the advice guys!

On the w41 note..
Can I use my heads and buy the w41 cam or better?

Money pit Beretta

Ok People

Post by Money pit Beretta »

She has the van now(lol)!  Hope she doesn't read all this. You should get the most out of the cams with the W41 head.

keep'em flying!
2nejunkie

Ok People

Post by 2nejunkie »

I wish she would drive the damn thing.LOL

speedygtz

Ok People

Post by speedygtz »

quads are fun, quads like go go power, you get 30mpg in a quad, you got 180hp to start with rather then that crappy 130hp or whatever it is, quads are much easier to work on then the 3100's are, and not as much of a pita, you got room for expansion under the hood when you have a quad, and whats better then owning v6's with a inline 4 banger?  

the z26 is on the road!
SuzukiGhostRider

Ok People

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

The only real difference between a W41 Quad and a standard HO Quad is the cams and the redline. Just put the cams in , you'll be fine. But don't forget the chip.

2nejunkie

Ok People

Post by 2nejunkie »

just read another post here, Project B.
Holy!
I did some Youtube seaching and found a 358 HP 3400 turbo.
358 hp Dyno (doesnt show #s tho)

speedygtz

Ok People

Post by speedygtz »

look man, your getting into a really dificult project swapping a v6 in there, you'd have to almost redo everything, wiring, front end,suspension, your talking at least a 4g project, and no one has completed it yet to this day, and im telling you, if you dont now, you will hate a 3xxx sfi sooner or later, quads are much better platform to tinker with, if your really looking into the v6, either A. get yourself a different car and just start with that platform, and swap everything, gfx,seats,interior, whatever, or B. get a complete parts car and be prepared to do something absolutly not worth it imho. dont waste your time, see the light, the quad is better man! there what made the GTZ, a GTZ, not the v6, that never made a name for itself without some heavy modifications, the quad however, made a point right from the get go, gm was not about luxary when they threw the grumbling quad in the retta, they were all for the performance and power at the time for the right cost, and the v6 was the more "economical" car. so you figure it out!

the z26 is on the road!
2nejunkie

Ok People

Post by 2nejunkie »

Damn speedy. LOL
Im just tossing it up. I have the van with a low mile 3400 in it. Donor if needed. I am leaning more towards a motor I can beat the snot out of before I blow it.
But on the other hand I respect the GTZ enough to keep digging for a more reliable rebuild for it without the loss of power. Lots of room too.

Mr. Beefy

Ok People

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Well I would say 3400 HOWEVER, buy a `96 3100 equiped car to do the transplant. This way you will have OBDII and can so a really good tune job fairly easily and get teh most power out of the car.

I have had an 88GT 2.8, 90 GT 3.1, 90 GTZ Q4, and have a 96 3100 Corsica I loved the power of the Q4 but it has very little pull up to 3K then after it keeps going and going, where the 2.8/3.1/3100 falls flat around 5500(lower on the 2.8)

And the gas..... just remember this... Q4 = premium fuel, 3100/3400 = regular. Having owned both motors I was getting about 32-35mpg highway babying it with the GTZ and ~25 highway with the Corsica. At gas prices here ($3.79/reg, $4.29/premium) They just about even out. The 3400 has more torque than the Quad but the Quad makes more HP. However you can have a 3400 make the same stock HP with more torque than the Quad very easily.

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
speedygtz

Ok People

Post by speedygtz »

(sousa632 @ Jul. 27 2008,21:29)QUOTEWell I would say 3400 HOWEVER, buy a `96 3100 equiped car to do the transplant. This way you will have OBDII and can so a really good tune job fairly easily and get teh most power out of the car.

I have had an 88GT 2.8, 90 GT 3.1, 90 GTZ Q4, and have a 96 3100 Corsica I loved the power of the Q4 but it has very little pull up to 3K then after it keeps going and going, where the 2.8/3.1/3100 falls flat around 5500(lower on the 2.8)

And the gas..... just remember this... Q4 = premium fuel, 3100/3400 = regular. Having owned both motors I was getting about 32-35mpg highway babying it with the GTZ and ~25 highway with the Corsica. At gas prices here ($3.79/reg, $4.29/premium) They just about even out. The 3400 has more torque than the Quad but the Quad makes more HP. However you can have a 3400 make the same stock HP with more torque than the Quad very easily.
really?    with how much modifications?

you really got to remember that the quad can take a beating if it is taken care of and not constantly trashed and beat arouond, the v6 does have the ultimate luxary of reliability, but i still think the sfi v6's are just junk, save the quad. its hard to find one as it is, and when you re-sell the car, think, is there anyone who is goin to want to buy a car that had all that modification done to it? probably not, but you say "new quad motor" and some other mods on the motor, and you easily see a sale, a lot easier then trying to sell a project.

the z26 is on the road!