what did you do to your ride today?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
woody90gtz

Re: what did you do to your ride today?

Post by woody90gtz »

Spent my 10 minutes figuring out where the hell I want to mount the air/oil separator.

Wifey is working 3-11 tmo so maybe I can get the trans built.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

As I've said many times, what I did to my ride yesterday... :roll:

At one point, I had every hood open on my Berettas, looking over stock placement, custom tranny mounts and frame bracing I've done -including the N* Indy GTi project, which sadly had to be unburied in the garage. I am going to have trouble H-bracing the radiator tie-bar back to the strut towers on the 3.4 DOHC Z, as I've done on both the V-8 Indy and the GTU, but I have some ideas in mind. I may just need to make another trip out to the junkyard before this is finished... Found a factory GM bracket in my box-o-brackets that fit 90% perfectly between the rear alternator support bracket and the right frame-rail as it arches down to the center subframe mount-point. Welded in some extra bracing (pic coming to that thread) and the engine is now supported on its own in the bay. :Yahoo!: Then, I was able to CLOSE every Beretta hood, including the DOHC Z, which no longer needs the engine-hoist. 8) And yes, the hood clears with room to spare, especially now that the drivetrain has been lowered a little.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Ran the '90 Turbo a little. She has been sitting for a pretty long time, due mostly to a fuel-pump relay wiring problem that I just haven't felt like dealing with and a (once or twice) intermittent power loss that I suspect is MAF related -the car has been naughty and is in time-out! I connected the battery the other day and she actually fired right up. :good: Today was the first time in over a year that she actually saw the road. There is a stutter during moderate throttle, but she is idling great. I suspect the MAF is dirty from sitting (or may be an injector acting up), and once the DOHC-Z is done, she will probably start getting some attention again. I am planning on swapping turbos out though, as her Garrett T-4 is a little too big for this 3.4, but should be about right for the DOHC of the same displacement, and I have a BW T-3 that should spool a little faster.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I dropped the body over the fresh 3400 last night. Woo woooooo
20180308_212820.jpg

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Work dog, work! Ever notice how the dogs look happier working than they do playing? :P
Got a lot of time in on the DOHC-Z today. Finished the lower transmission mount and the alternator relocation work, now I just need to match-up a shorter belt and finish removing the A/C condenser, lines, and cap-off the fittings for the evaporator. Thinking seriously about modifying the fender-well area where the coolant expansion-tank sits to relocate the battery to it. Then where to put the expansion-tank? Also installed the radiator upper tie-bar reinforcement brace and welded on the upper engine-mount (torsion brace) to it. It just needs to get tied-back to the strut towers now... Will add some pics tomorrow to that thread if I get a chance -I was too busy working on it today to run snap-shots on it. :pardon:

Yesterday was pretty nice, so I went joy-riding in the 'vert Camaro with the top down for a bit. Nice that it is now old enough to qualify for classic plates... The GTU comes up next year. :twisted:

Woody, that is coming along beautifully! It almost feels like a race! I think you will win though. I still have a long way to go...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Fabricated and installed the oil-supply line to the triple-K turbo I've downgraded my '90 'Retta to. It really should run much better with that engine than the T-04 did, I keep telling myself... I have to finish up the downpipe rebuild -my porta-band broke the band right when I started the last rough-cut for the pipe, so I decided to call it a night. After finishing the downpipe, I'll just have to wait for the two intake elbows I ordered for it -should be here early next week- and complete the bypass valve's return line replacement, and upgrade the turbo's oil return line, and the car should be done (again). I threw a temporary return line together to test-start the car, and get this turbo spinning for the first time in years (..and years..). I did see a little blue smoke out of the exhaust, but hopefully it won't become a major concern. And the turbo does start spooling a little just revving the engine, so at least I know it can produce boost. :wink: But what a PAIN in the bumper this has been! It is almost like building a turbo car all over again. :no: I've been wishing that I had just left the T-04 monster in this thing, and twin-turboed the 3.4 DOHC!

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Worked on the 3.4 DOHC a little (pics to follow on that thread), Got some work done on the '90 Turbo. Trimmed and installed some new intake elbows (silicone), fabricated the new duct from MAF to turbo (metal), and fitted and tacked the downpipe. I will need one more fitting before I can finish the car (from the bypass valve return pipe), and still need to redo the wastegate to run the return UNDER the intake charge pipe instead of over it. Yay!

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
themixer

Post by themixer »

i opened the garage door and looked at my freshly painted car that's been in there for about a year. Promptly shut the door and pretended not to see it.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Received *I hope* the last of the intake fittings for both the Z-26 DOHC and the '90 Turbo projects. Finished installing the '90's intake piping -I still need to update the turbo oil-return line, finish welding the down-pipe and reworking the wastegate and piping -oh boy, do I love external wastegates! :roll: Relocated the Z-26 TDC's battery (to the right side of the engine-bay). Also placed the ICM and coil-pack there too. The stock TDC wires run to it very cleanly. Where the coolant reservoir goes... Not sure yet, a couple of ideas going though. Also got a lot of work done on the wiring harness integration. The alternator relocation is causing the most trouble for me, but I don't just want to run an extension to it.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
aurolio

Post by aurolio »

Changed the oil and coolant. Washed the exterior.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Washed the Sapphire Blue '90 T-Type today, along with a few of the other cars. I had done a clear-coat repaint on the top of the fenders a week or two ago, this is the first wash since then. I still need to find some color-match paint for this, I would like enough to repaint the hood, trunk, and spoiler, plus the GTU mirrors I have for the car. I did find that the Chrysler Steel Blue (circa 2000) matches really closely if you put a solid coating of bright silver underneath it... Put a fresh recharge on the battery too, not sure it is healthy enough anymore to trust though, pretty old battery.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Did some work on the '90 Turbo's hood -that thing is beat to p!$$ -thanks, Wyoming. I'm grafting in some fourth-gen Firebird hood inserts towards the back, if I can sink them in far enough, they should look good. I'll need to add some bracing to the bottom, but the hood needs that anyway due to the crumple-zones being tweaked several years ago -be careful when checking your oil in Wyoming wind! I started cleaning out the trunk (and to grab the hood inserts from the trunk) and found three blind mice, three blind mice. Well, three babies just starting to open their eyes. So now we have three new 'pets' (temporarily) in a plastic cage I made up for them. The cats found the cage immediately, and it is like cat-TV! :D Not sure if they will make it or not though, they aren't eating well. :(

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

How does the car smell? When mice got into mine, I had a hell of a time getting the stink out. They
chewed the seat belts and rubber weather stripping. Nowadays I hear they eat the insulation off wires in cars.
I hate mice. I keep traps baited outside so they don't get the chance to get in.
Resist the urge to save baby mice. They do damage and carry disease.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

There is a little stink in the trunk -and you can smell it in the cabin if the car has been locked up for a while, but I think that is more from the mice that got in there a few years ago. Ozium works fairly well, I just haven't treated this car yet. Mice mostly eat wires off of some of the newer cars that have a soy element to the insulation, but of course they can chew anything. We live near to a wildlife preserve, so we try to use live-capture traps and relocate them. Saving or killing a few mice now and then will have no impact on our area, but makes a difference on how I feel about myself. I have a very Buddhist attitude towards life, and unless something is deliberately trying to harm me (like mosquitos -I hate those things, and meter-maids, oooo :evil: [kidding]), I prefer to live and let live. If we were in an urban area with no where else to put them, I would agree with you 100%.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

"Mice mostly eat wires off of some of the newer cars that have a soy element to the insulation, but of course they can chew anything."
I've heard about the newer wires with soy but way back, years ago,
We had a 73 Camaro which sat for a few weeks as we tried to sell it. Mice ate the plug wires. So, I bought a new set, put them on and they ate those too.
They ate a hole in the hood insulation too. In my 68 Camaro, they ate through the plastic kick panel to get into the car from the vent. Then they climbed up to the headliner and ate a hole in it to get over the visors where they made a nest. I replaced the headliner and sun visors because I could not get that stink out of the car. If I drove the car and as the sun heated the roof, the stink got worse. I bought every odor product out there, I even bought a UV light to locate the exact source of the mouse piss. It took a lot of work and time to finally get the odor gone.
On my house, we have Styrofoam insulation sheets under the plywood siding. They tunneled through the Styrofoam to get into the house in one spot. I filled that spot with Bondo and that is when I started setting traps outside. I've had no mice problems since.