what did you do to your ride today?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
EPfiffner

Re: what did you do to your ride today?

Post by EPfiffner »

ifixalot wrote:I'm replacing the front parking brake cable. Raybestos BC94603 I got it from Rock auto.
The damn thing is too long. I don't have enough adjustment to tighten it up.
I guess I have to pull it back out and see if I can mod an end to make it shorter.
I bought way back in July so I can't return it but it Raybestos says it's right for my car.
Go figure.
Wow that's disappointing, raybestos used to be good..
I've never worried much about parking brakes on my cars, but definitely I should.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Investigating an engine cut-out/major hesitation, esp when cold.
I unplugged the CPS and found oil. I removed the harness between the ICM and CPS, inspected and cleaned it.

I replaced the CPS since it seemed the oil was leaking through the sensor.

No dice, runs the same. I pulled the plenum and ohmed the injectors: 12.7-12.9 ohms. Ran out of time so more diagnostics to follow.

aurolio

Post by aurolio »

Changed the valve cover gasket and installed the michelin tires that I bought at 4wheelonline.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

ifixalot wrote:I'm replacing the front parking brake cable. Raybestos BC94603 I got it from Rock auto.
The damn thing is too long. I don't have enough adjustment to tighten it up.
I guess I have to pull it back out and see if I can mod an end to make it shorter.
I bought way back in July so I can't return it but it Raybestos says it's right for my car.
Go figure.
The reason I had to replace the cable was mice ate some of the plastic off the outside and the inside rusted causing the cable to bind.
20181127_131030.jpg
Here is the old and new cables taped together. One can see how the sheath is shorter and the inner cable was longer. The piece of inner cable
is the amount I had to cut off. I made and end, drilled it through, crushed it onto the cable and wire welded it to the cable.
20181121_153158.jpg
While working on this, I noticed my fuel filler neck was real rusty, sure enough, I poked a hole in it. I got the new one in today.
I'm seeing other rust and it may be time to let go of this car in the spring.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

That is a lot of work to have to do to make a new part work... Glad you got it squared away though. I'm sorry to hear about your rust problem. I hope you are able to cure it and save the car. Do you intend to replace it if you do decide to let it go?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

The rockers on the 96 are rusted out on the bottom, shock towers are OK but the frame rail on the gas tank side is bad.
I doubt it's worth putting too much into it to save it. If something really nice came up, I might be tempted.
I have the 88GT with 30k on it so I will still own a Beretta.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Ohmed the injectors again with a cold engine, 11.8-11.9 ohms. Took some of the tape (looks like black duct tape) off of the injector harness and checked, looks good. Re-wrapped and started putting the plenum back on. I thought I would have time to fire it up, but I dropped one of the TB bolts between the fan and the radiator so I called it a night.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

EPfiffner wrote:Ohmed the injectors again with a cold engine, 11.8-11.9 ohms. Took some of the tape (looks like black duct tape) off of the injector harness and checked, looks good. Re-wrapped and started putting the plenum back on. I thought I would have time to fire it up, but I dropped one of the TB bolts between the fan and the radiator so I called it a night.
Typically, a single failed injector will not cause a major cut-out or stalling issue (TYPICALLY :wink: ). It is nice to rule it out, but I would be looking at air-metering first -MAP and or MAF (I don't recall off the top of my head what year/engine you have). I did encounter a blown-out fuel pressure regulator a couple of times, which allowed raw fuel to be sucked into the engine through the vacuum-line, as well as messing up the fuel pressure -that is dramatically worse before the O2 sensor is warm enough to try to compensate for the unregulated fuel. Also, what is the CTS reading? GM's fuel-tables are heavily effected by coolant/engine temp -it is like having the choke stuck fully closed (or fully open) on a carbureted engine...

If you are still feeling it is an injector problem, remember that the Ohm test only tells you about the health of the electrical coil -the injector itself can still be dead or dying mechanically -if the pintle is worn or stuck, it can be leaking or failing to open properly. With a gauge, you can do a leak-down test (be CAREFUL about applying battery power to an injector for too long -they are designed to operate in miliseconds and will overheat and die if run too long), and see if they are at least opening and closing, but the only real way to know how an injector is operating is to pull them all and flow-test them.

Good luck.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Rettax3 wrote:
EPfiffner wrote:Ohmed the injectors again with a cold engine, 11.8-11.9 ohms. Took some of the tape (looks like black duct tape) off of the injector harness and checked, looks good. Re-wrapped and started putting the plenum back on. I thought I would have time to fire it up, but I dropped one of the TB bolts between the fan and the radiator so I called it a night.
Typically, a single failed injector will not cause a major cut-out or stalling issue (TYPICALLY :wink: ). It is nice to rule it out, but I would be looking at air-metering first -MAP and or MAF (I don't recall off the top of my head what year/engine you have). I did encounter a blown-out fuel pressure regulator a couple of times, which allowed raw fuel to be sucked into the engine through the vacuum-line, as well as messing up the fuel pressure -that is dramatically worse before the O2 sensor is warm enough to try to compensate for the unregulated fuel. Also, what is the CTS reading? GM's fuel-tables are heavily effected by coolant/engine temp -it is like having the choke stuck fully closed (or fully open) on a carbureted engine...

If you are still feeling it is an injector problem, remember that the Ohm test only tells you about the health of the electrical coil -the injector itself can still be dead or dying mechanically -if the pintle is worn or stuck, it can be leaking or failing to open properly. With a gauge, you can do a leak-down test (be CAREFUL about applying battery power to an injector for too long -they are designed to operate in miliseconds and will overheat and die if run too long), and see if they are at least opening and closing, but the only real way to know how an injector is operating is to pull them all and flow-test them.

Good luck.
Thanks. I was thinking that since mine is a MPFI (93 3.1) that, since the injectors were wired in parallel, one having an issue could cause a major miss/hesitation.

It very well could be ignition related as well. Plugs and wires are about 6mth old but we know just because something is new..
This feels like more than a single cylinder miss though to me. Coil pack maybe, I don't know.

After cooling off about an hour from normal operating temp, my CTS was reading 53C.
I then took it for a drive to warm it back up and it was reading 92C.

I better move this to the Diagnostics thread if we get too deep!

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

I'm thinking I need some new tires due to dry rot.
20181101_153754.jpg

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

ya, those look like they've seen better days. One of my Nankang NS1s grew a huge blister out of the sidewall this fall. The rears on my 17" wheels are origional so.....almost 19 yrs old.

90' GTZ 189whp NA 14.00@99 / 237whp 50 shot 13.3@104
95' Integra 240whp / 04' Z71 Tahoe/ 85' K20/ 15' IS350 Fsport
projects: 86 Bonneville 6.0 swap / MkIII Supra 2J swap / 91 Volvo 740
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Wow...that looks...really bad. haha I got some old studded Goodyears on my car right now to roll it around and the dry rot is nowhere near that bad. But they leak like a sieve at the bead. They are DEAD overnight.

I've been working on my trailer. I just put a winch mount on it and once mounted I kinda wish it was higher. hmmm

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

I bought some Douglas tires from Walmart. They get good reviews and are supposed to be made by Goodyear.
My old tires were Goodyear and about 11 years old. I read they had recalls for cracking awhile back.
I'll put these tires on in the spring on my 88 since I put the 88's Z-26 wheels on my 96 and I have the stock
steel wheels back on the 88.
HPIM1583.JPG
Also, here is a photo of my old filler tube. Good thing I found how bad it was before I spilled gas when filling up.
Attachments
HPIM1582.JPG

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Holy crapola! I've never seen one of these rust before!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

ifixalot wrote:I bought some Douglas tires from Walmart. They get good reviews and are supposed to be made by Goodyear.
My old tires were Goodyear and about 11 years old. I read they had recalls for cracking awhile back.
I'll put these tires on in the spring on my 88 since I put the 88's Z-26 wheels on my 96 and I have the stock
steel wheels back on the 88.
HPIM1583.JPG
Also, here is a photo of my old filler tube. Good thing I found how bad it was before I spilled gas when filling up.
I had read reviews on the Douglas as well and they sounded good, so I hope they work well for you.

I was under the impression that the filler tube was a pretty common rust spot for us in the rust belt, that's why you see many berettas missing the fuel fill door too, the whole area rusts.

Mine was packed with mud when I got the car, but I cleaned the heck out of it, sandblasted, and painted it.

Rock Auto has them I believe.