what did you do to your ride today?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
ifixalot

Re: what did you do to your ride today?

Post by ifixalot »

I got my new one from Rock Auto.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I had to replace the filler tube on my rusty old 95z back in the day. I think I got one from ebay. They didn't have replacements back then to my knowledge.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Vacuumed out about a gallon of water from the carpet on the 'old' '95 Z. Yep, dread firewall leak hits another one. She has been sitting for a month or two, going to put her back in rotation for DD duty since the 'new' '95 Z cracked her tranny-mount (my fault).

Finishing up repairing the massive oil-leak on my backup Plymouth minivan (I love these things -huge inside, you can lay a full 4x8 sheet of plywood down in the back, and stack them up to the ceiling if need be, they get good gas-mileage, and ride nice too). This one was saved from the scrap-yard a few years ago when the previous owner opted not to have it fixed - I bought it for ~$150 and towed it home. The problem was a hardened and cracked front main oil seal -no big deal, except that this van has the Mitsubishi 3.0 SOHC engine -not my first choice at all, so the timing-belt needed to be replaced too (oil saturated, sitting a long time, and who knows when it was last done?). Now I just need to bolt the engine mount back in, and it should be good to go. Sadly, my primary van has finally tick-tocked its' tranny time-bomb to death -I have first, second, and reverse. But, at I think about 240k miles on the original and hard-used tranny, I've been very lucky. Now if I can only find a complete T-850 five-speed for cheap... :D

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I have a small firewall leak still as well. I keep forgetting to look further into it. I sealed mine about ten years ago, now I just keep towels under the mats, haha. It barely leaks, I'll get to it though.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

I backed into a guard rail. So there goes my amazing looking car!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Got the tire leak fixed on the GTU -irritating and shameful, as this is the newest tire on the car, and I had mounted it up myself a few years ago when I worked at a shop that did tires too. It worked great, but then the car sat for several months (I was hearing noise in tranny, and was afraid it might be an input shaft bearing going out, and didn't drive it for a while), and the bead started leaking on the back. The longer it sat, the worse it got. Of all places, Wal-Mart fixed it for me -I asked them to fix two more -another tire with a bead-leak, and one of the Camaros' old Z-28 rims a friend provided to me finally cracked the valve-stem. All told, the only thing they charged me for was the $3.75 valve-stem, I could not believe it. Looks like they did a great job, too. I'll know sooner or later though -I'll be putting the GTU back on the road with fancy new 'collector's plates' soon here, and hopefully won't have to top the air-pressure off every week anymore.

Also painted some more engine-parts for the old Plymouth's 'new' Big Block. The alternator and bracket, and the water-pump and crank pulleys too (these are the ONLY accessories the engine has -no A/C, no P/S, no BS). I still can't bolt it all together though as I am short one Grade-8 cam-gear bolt (went with a three-bolt dual-idle gear-drive unit turning a new Lunati cam to nix the typical Mopar chain-stretch, and add a little noise under the hood). Also decided to leave well-enough alone on the fancy aluminum water-pump housing, which I had painted a translucent smoke 'black chrome' wheel-coating. I had thought about re-stripping it and flat-blacking it, but it is fine as-is. I did flat-black the water-pump itself though, which on the BB Mopars is just a small insert, similar to the water-pumps used on our 60-degree V-6s, and is mostly covered by the pulley. I also need to buy the next round of stainless Allen button-head bolts for the engine -I am anti-seizing the heck out of them in hope these things never seize in this engine, I'll never get them back out. %)

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Finally got the last of my Third-Gen F-Bodies home, snagged it from storage on my way back home from a business-ish trip. This is actually my first Camaro -an '88 with a GMC 350 swapped in and a heavily ported Cross-Fire manifold run by a stock 305 TBI ECM and a relatively uncommon rear-disc Limited Slip 10-Bolt rear-end behind the original T-5 manual gearbox. These are the only cars I have more of than Berettas! :wink: One of the Pontiacs will be sold for sure, and one will be used as parts most likely, as it has a little too much rust and has a five-speed I want for one of the other cars...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Mkweaver1958

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Ordered remote/auto start to be installed on my Indy.
I'm a great fan of getting into an already warm or cool car!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Drove the 'old' Z-26 a bit last couple of days. She was running a little warm when I got home this morning, had to add a GALLON of coolant. No trace in the oil though, but the system seemed properly pressurized so I am not sure where it went. :Search: I don't really care if it is a head gasket finally going out -I'll run this thing until it dies, or until I decide to drop my spare L67 (Series 2 Supercharged 3800) into it with another 5-speed swap. Easy enough conversion, probably even easier with the later-model fuel-lines and option to use a 3300 Grand Am mount on the right side. I am tired of building headers for Berettas, but I still have a pair of 3800 F-Body exhaust manifolds sitting in a box... Hmmm. But this thing still runs great, and with the 3400 wide-port intake and TB, pulls very hard and leaves me with no complaint regarding performance, for a DD at least. I have some other ideas in mind for this car too, but that is down the road a ways. :twisted:

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
whiteretta

Re: RE: Re: what did you do to your ride today?

Post by whiteretta »

Rettax3 wrote:Finally got the last of my Third-Gen F-Bodies home, snagged it from storage on my way back home from a business-ish trip. This is actually my first Camaro -an '88 with a GMC 350 swapped in and a heavily ported Cross-Fire manifold run by a stock 305 TBI ECM and a relatively uncommon rear-disc Limited Slip 10-Bolt rear-end behind the original T-5 manual gearbox. These are the only cars I have more of than Berettas! :wink: One of the Pontiacs will be sold for sure, and one will be used as parts most likely, as it has a little too much rust and has a five-speed I want for one of the other cars...
Pics or GTFO! Haha

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

No pics of this one here -ever. It was damaged really badly in the same arson fire that toasted the back of my 'old' Z-26 and claimed my second 300ZX and Kawasaki ZX-11 (bad day to be a car with a 'Z'). It is painful enough for me without having to hear the 'what a POS, why bother keeping that?' from people who don't understand what it meant to me. I saved it maybe four times now, I'm still not sure I'll give it up yet. Finding some more rust than I like though -the car originally came from PA, so it is somewhat to be expected. I may send some shots of the rather rare CFI setup on it though. :wink: My '89 RS will be getting an identical ported-out CFI manifold, but with twin dual TBI units installed, rather than the two single-pot units GM originally installed. That car should be pretty wicked with that, and all the rest of the Police Special parts used on it's 5.7...

Ordered some new parts for the L83 Corvette engine I'm putting in my '88 'Vert Camaro. Lunati cam and lifters, LS6 beehive valve-springs, and Comp Cams non-LS retainers -I will be using a set of Vortec heads I've had lying around for a while, and they normally cannot support the size cam I am putting in the engine without machining -hence the LS springs. The smaller chambers on the Vortec heads should put the CR at a respectable number right around 10:1, and I already have ideas on how to adapt a TPI intake manifold to the huge Vortec intake ports without loosing too much flow. I still need to get my GTA out of the way first though -too bad the L98 was toast in that car, it would have been done by now. :fool: I'll get a teaser-shot of what is going into that car posted soon though. 8) I won't be missing the TPI 350 too much.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Washed the GTU and the Yellow Indy. So of course, the sun went away and it rained. :roll: Got the GTU back out on the road a bit -she has been sitting for a few months again, and unfortunately the transmission noise that I had parked her for a couple of years back has returned -I am wondering if it is a temperature-related thing? In any case, obnoxious transmission rattling, but oh, the power! I missed driving that beast. It was funny notching her back into sixth gear, doing 50 mph in what looks like reverse. :crazy:

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Actually had sunshine today! So I took mine to work and filled it up after getting groceries. 14.3mpg on that tank...but it was over the whole winter with warm up idling, etc. Still better than the truck does even on road trips. haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Changed my transmission fluid. My tranny has never shifted smoother!

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Rettax3 wrote:Ordered some new parts for the L83 Corvette engine I'm putting in my '88 'Vert Camaro. Lunati cam and lifters, LS6 beehive valve-springs, and Comp Cams non-LS retainers -I will be using a set of Vortec heads I've had lying around for a while, and they normally cannot support the size cam I am putting in the engine without machining -hence the LS springs. The smaller chambers on the Vortec heads should put the CR at a respectable number right around 10:1, and I already have ideas on how to adapt a TPI intake manifold to the huge Vortec intake ports without loosing too much flow.
So what's the plan? I've been contemplating a TPI intake for my vortec 357. Seems like those long runners would be perfect for a truck that rarely sees north of 4000rpm... But the Scoggin-Dickey vortec base is crazy money, about 4-5x the cost of a full TPI setup used.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube