what are we gonna do when.......?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
themadness

what are we gonna do when.......?

Post by themadness »

.........they are all gone? i was watching barret jackson last night and wondered what a z26 would fetch in about 15 years or so. a 197- something trans am brought in 30,000 when i was flipping through.

with these cars getting more rare by the second seems like, what will we do when they disappear?

SummitBalt08

Re: what are we gonna do when.......?

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Even if this forum and Bfest disappear.. My Beretta will never disappear. Even if its broke down it will still stay in the garage. Realistically, I would still like to be driving my Z on the weekends 20 years from now lol.

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

They'll never be worth much. How many collectors are going to want to own a slow, 30 year old FWD car? I used to think I would keep my first Beretta forever but eventually it just wasn't worth it to keep fixing the problems.

GTZfan

Post by GTZfan »

BerettaLove32 wrote:They'll never be worth much. How many collectors are going to want to own a slow, 30 year old FWD car? I used to think I would keep my first Beretta forever but eventually it just wasn't worth it to keep fixing the problems.
When it was slow it looks like you bought the wrong one :crazy:

1991 GTZ Quad4 black, all original, low miles. Beretta Calendar 2008, 2009, 2015
1992 GTZ Quad4 quaser, completely restored. Beretta Calendar 2011, 2012, 2013 images of the shiny quaser
weba

Post by weba »

For people who still want to daily drive these cars, this is a trouble. The ones kept in the garage and taken care off, are still here after 10 of 20 years.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

the hardest part is there is a bit more to 'restoring' a unibody car like a beretta as opposed to the traditional cars that normally see a restoration... think 'body off of frame resto'. a lot more short pieces to make fit! i like inner rockers.

the main thing is there were just so many made in total, and the GTZ, and i guess you can say GTU and INDY were just cars that a few add ons.

it's funny when you think about the original cost of a muscle car. back in the late 1960's -early 70's they cost $2500-4000 out the door, the new rear tires that you purchased next week, well i'm unsure what the price range was for those!

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

A 79 trans am is a half unibody car and they do frame off restorations on those.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

it must be more in-depth than just yanking the frame off and then doing the job though right? since (well i guess mainly front wheel drive unibodies, and as companies start to redesign and 'cut corners' to save money), they have inner workings and molded-for-rigidity floors etc...

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

Last year a mint low mileage yellow indy went for $19,000 at Mecum. I tried to buy it. Went higher then I expected. :(

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

berettaboi wrote:it must be more in-depth than just yanking the frame off and then doing the job though right? since (well i guess mainly front wheel drive unibodies, and as companies start to redesign and 'cut corners' to save money), they have inner workings and molded-for-rigidity floors etc...
It can be done... I've seen pictures of someone who hand restored a rusted to crap 1960's Austin Healey and believe it or not that is a fully unibody setup.

If you know someone who can bend metal then restoring something thats rusted out is very easy, you just need the tools and the skills to fabricate custom individual panels to replicate what they did before they were gone.

It's amazing what you can do with a sheet metal break, a bead roller and a metal stretcher and shrinker.

I would have to say we are going to have a car similar to the Delorian... I just saw it on a "Whats my car worth" show and the guy wanted 30k for it, Mint, only 4k miles and he couldn't get that. He was told it could go for 24-26k at Auction if a collector of those cars happened to be in the audience but thats the gamble, finding someone who wants it and you can probably get them to pay what you think it's worth. Will our cars become rare, yes, but they may never gain that desirability that makes them worth a lot.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I don't think they will ever be worth much money, but cars are to be driven and not parked anyway. Rust repair is definitely much more difficult on a unibody than a full frame car, which makes them tougher to save once they get bad.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
indygurl

Post by indygurl »

i plan to use my indy until i can find a cheap $500 beater for a daily driver and have the indy fixed up and as a weekend strolling car. but she will be a daily driver for a few months.

My 1990 Chevrolet Beretta Indy 3.1L 3 Speed Auto
Chazzman

Post by Chazzman »

I've had my car for 12+ years. It's not going anywhere! and I don't care to own another one. If something were to happen to it,fire, stolen (again and NOT recovered), totalled, etc.... I'd just grieve a bit, get over it and move on..... I kinda already have in a way. I mean I still have the car but since I started getting into motorcycles, the car has been mostly tucked away in a garage And seldom driven. (less then 2,000 miles in last 4 years.) It needs some attention before Bfest and I haven't even been over to see the car since Nov. so IF I feel motivated in the next month or so I'll tag it and pull it out...... Sometimes I think I'll be the guy with the "barn-find" Beretta that got park in my folks garage for years/decades........ "It's not for sale, gonna fix it someday" THAT guy.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

I think that many of you are misreading Madness' post. He is asking, what will all of us enthusiasts and owners do when the parts car are all gone. He's not implying that any of you will get rid of your cars.

Interesting question Madness... I'll hope to have mine all buttoned up and not need any parts at that point! But once there is no longer a water pump for the car... I guess it will be engine swap time! Something with a little more support... Like a Cadillac CTS-V engine. :)

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
themadness

Post by themadness »

you're right styluss. exactly what i meant.

but i may have thrown a loop in there with barret jackson talk. should have made it a 2 part question or something. my bad ya'll :oops:

back on track though. i was thinking what would i do if mine went belly up beyond repair value. with the scarcity of decent cars around here i might be screwed up. i absolutely love my car and would want another if something happened to mine.

how intensive are swaps and how much would it cost to put one in, a 3400 in for a 3100 for arguments sake?