Common problems with beretta's

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Guest »

I am compiling some of the most common problems we have all experienced and have started a list here--Please feel free to contribute. I am trying to get alot together to update the FAQ. Thanks for all those who's posts I stole from for these below, and thank you ahead of time to those who constantly contribute and are eager to help other Benetters in need!

ANY and all contributions to this thread are greatly appreiciatedBY myself and your fellow Bnet members

1.Have a water leak in the driver side floors--please check the Faq as it is documented there

2.Have a check engine light at hwy speeds with and egr trouble code??

EGR valve need cleaned.  Take off the EGR, the throttle body and clean in with carb cleaner, make sure you get the little pathway into the plenum with a coat hanger or something.

Hydro carbon deposits build up and clog the valve itself, setting off the SES light. ÂÂÂ

On a 3100 it is located on the intake, to the right of the 3100 lettering and behind the throttle body. Two or three bolts are all that hold them on.

reccomend you run some GM top end  engine cleaner through the intake after cleaning the egr passages

3. your low coolant light on ?

TRy tapping on the side of the overflow tank to free up the float sensor, also be sure you do not have a coolant leak or an air pocket in the cooling system.

4.changing the belt on your 4cyl
see this thread
http://www.beretta.net/board....;t=1468

5.smoke from steering column intermittently

In most cases it is a turn signal switch problem

see this thread

http://www.beretta.net/board....;t=1459

6.how does one test the ignition coils? primary and secondary? I have never done it before,so I want to make sure I do it right.

test the resistance of them. Not sure of how many ohms of resistance they should have, but you can tell if one is different or way off from the others.

Also keep in mind that this won't tell you if the epoxy insulation they are potted in has failed, and is shorting out only when the voltage is high enough to spark through it.

7. Have a rough running problem no ses lite --check your module and ign  coils---they may be biting you in the behind!

8.have a volt gauage acting funny?? dips when accesories on or turn siganls on? Have  your battery checked to be sure it is up to snuff and have your alternator load tested to be sure it is putting out/able to put out what it is rated too.

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

coil packs should ohm out around 5.5

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Post by Guest »

finally someone added something--Thanks Stephanie

Post by Guest »

94 Z26  I had the wet drivers side floor problem.Thanks to you guys I found the leak slightly before ripping out my hair. Now i've come across another one, water has been coming into my trunk for the last few months, it's not my weather stripping. I've been told it could be coming in through by my taillights. I was hoping this may be a common problem. Any ideas.:rock:

brunell8

Post by brunell8 »

PGA - I get that problem with my 3100, but only if my gas is down to 1/4 tank or less.  Soon as I put gas in, everything runs great.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

My Cardomain Page

Post by Guest »

brunell8 - change your fuel filter lately? that could be causing a restriction. I change mine every year as preventative maintaince.by the way, suite ride. In my case, the "hesitation" I get is nothing really worth talking about. It just bugs me.

Post by Guest »

Quote (PGA @ Sep. 19 2003,17:01)I notice a "pause" when accelerating from idle...
I had a similar problem with mine I changed my air idle control valve and havent had a problem yet. I also found my water leak in my trunk. I removed the passenger side taillight, behind this there are two seams, my leak was comming from the upper right hand side of the seam, next to the quarter panel. Yea Haw nothing like trying to track down a water leak.

Post by Guest »

Maybe I'll give it a try for a laugh if I come across one seeing that the poor quad has 393,000km on it. Good to hear your trunk won't be a swimming pool anymore!

Post by Guest »

Holy smokes I'm running on 260,000kms and I thought I was getting up there. I was wondering how long my engine will hold out for but it looks like there's hope for me yet. What kind of engine horrors have you gone through? A buddy of mine sold his beretta around 220,000 because he didn't think a chev would last. He dropped a bunch of money on a civic and the engine blew at 110,000. I guess you never know.

Post by Guest »

poor guy, he should have kept it. No horror stories to tell either. Just changed the timing chain and sprockets to be safe. It is a noisy engine (arn't they all) and it burns some oil here and there but theres no shame for it and it still runs pretty good. Its been on a steady diet of Castrol 10W30 and Lucas oil stabilizer for as long as i've had it. Alot of people put down the quad-4, maybe we are just lucky. Personally I think its a great engine and I have the miles to prove it.

Post by Guest »

Hurricane!!!!!!!!!! We got the big Juan. I live in Nova Scotia and have been out power for at least 6 days. I can't wait to turn the t.v. on to see some storm coverage. If there still showing any pics. There's nothing but fallen trees, smashed cars and houses everywhere. You've had some good fortune with your engine. I just changed my oil over to Valvoline max life 5W30 and now my car is burning oil for the first time. They claim oil additives make your car run better but I'm not impressed.

Post by Guest »

3rd Brake Lights in the spoiler on my 95 Z26 go out, probably from the jarring of closing the trunk regularly. ÂÂÂ

Right now 2 of them are out, and I've replaced at least 6 in the time I've owned the car. ÂÂÂ
The electrical system is fine, at least last I checked it.  And, given the number of other Berettas I see with missing lights, I'd file this as another "common problem" to the breed.

Probably common enough to be right up with those damn water leaks, which I'm currently fixing (again) on both the Driver's side door and under the center console. ÂÂÂ

FWIW, I have to say my 1988 GT never leaked, and still doesn't with 212,000mi on it and having never been garaged...but then again, the 88 has always been a better car for me than my '95.  ÂÂÂ

Post by Guest »

My 3rd brake light is in the spoiler (94 Z26). I bought four new bulbs(some expenseve for the size of them, $10.99cdn). The problem was in the electrical connection on the light assembely. One of the prongs was loose, insted of buying a new light $225cdn pretty bad when you can buy the entire spoiler with the light for $150. I spent three bucks on some connectors and she works fine.

feelgood7777

Post by feelgood7777 »

I believe this is one of the biggest and its been over looked, Gas door hinge rusting and breaking.

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Mods:  GTS Solar Wing, GTS Headlight Covers, DEI 600 Amp, Infinity Kappa 4X6's & 6X9's, Viper Car Alarm, Lunar Lights, Infinity Reference 12"

Tranny # 2
98beretta kid

Post by 98beretta kid »

Ive noticed that the lower dimmer switch is a troublesome part. Im on #3, and this girl i go to school with is on #2 in her Beretta.  

-Bryan

1989 Beretta GT (Money pit #1)
1996 GMC Sonoma (Money pit #2)
1993 GTZ ( Couldn't ask for a better Car)

The 3 reasons why I'm broke