Nothing cures my rough idle

Frequently Asked Questions
GTPrix

Post by GTPrix »

What can I do?

Everytime I'm at a light I have to shift to neutral so things dont vibrate.
It's so annoying.  It only does it in drive, when stopped with my foot on the brake.
If I'm idling in drive (slowly rolling) without my foot on the brake its fine.

This is driving me insane...the glovebox rattles really loud..and its rough..

Just changed the oil, plugs, wires, air filter, cleaned the plenum/tb/egr passages out, and unplugged the tcc.

Idles perfectly in every other gear.

Post by Guest »

check the passenger side rear lower motor mount. There is a TSB out for this problem--the metal breaks away from the insulater and causes a nasty vibration when in drive. The mount is about 40$ and can be changed in about an hour--2 13mm bolts and 2 13mm nuts--piece of cake and very common to fail--the metal innards of the mount actaully contact the outer mount housing in drive at a stop and that is where you are getting the vibration from.

Post by Guest »

Now I'm really confused  
I think I need a brake.  

Post by Guest »

confused??? how come??

GTPrix

Post by GTPrix »

Yay!
That makes sense..I'm sure thats what it is.

Thank you so much..you're always very helpful.

Post by Guest »

i have the same problem i think but sometimes its worse than other but it is terrible ill have to check that. thanks

Post by Guest »

It is most common on the 93 and older cars--the 93-96 they corrected the problem.Somewhat

Post by Guest »

Sorry to bring this topic back, but I have the same problem. Which motor mount is this? I have a 95 3100 so would this be the probable casue for the same conditions? Thanks

Post by Guest »

Quote (SmokinU @ Mar. 26 2003,01:11)Sorry to bring this topic back, but I have the same problem. Which motor mount is this? I have a 95 3100 so would this be the probable casue for the same conditions? Thanks
Not the same mounting system. The engine mount on the top of the rt wheel house collapses, it's a liquid filled mount at a cost from the dealer of 225.00 +. Auto parts stores are over $100, but you have to figure out how to break the old one apart and disassemble it, and assemble the new one into the old hardware. At least gm give you a direct replacement complete, just bolt it in.

Post by Guest »

Quote (CorsicaGirl @ Feb. 26 2002,03:22)What can I do?

Everytime I'm at a light I have to shift to neutral so things dont vibrate.
It's so annoying.  It only does it in drive, when stopped with my foot on the brake.
If I'm idling in drive (slowly rolling) without my foot on the brake its fine.

This is driving me insane...the glovebox rattles really loud..and its rough..

Just changed the oil, plugs, wires, air filter, cleaned the plenum/tb/egr passages out, and unplugged the tcc.

Idles perfectly in every other gear.
Aly, I'd look at the frt mount next to the radiator, if your car has one. I've found that the front one gets torqued up and down so much, that the support webbing breaks. When the webbing finally all wears out of there, the arm from the motor, rests on the metal casing of the mount (bolted to the rad support) and when the car is just sitting there as you describe, the arm is vibrating off the case. My GTU dose this, I was replacing that mount every 2 months from A/Z, till I finally filled the webbing of a new mount, full of silicone. Now it really vibrates because there is no shock cushion to it. At least I havent replaced it in almost 18 months.  

GTPrix

Post by GTPrix »

Yeah I replaced my mounts awhile ago.

This was one of the causes of the vibration.  (The lower mount was in so many pieces I couldn't keep them all together...so there's no pic of it)

And this was the reason why the car jerked everytime I put it in reverse, drive, or park.

So the mounts are done...virtually every suspension and braking component in the front end has been replaced...

I just got a brand new GM radiator still shrink wrapped in the original GM box for $26....

Things are going well.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, the upper pix, is the frt mount, that's the one that's causing mine to vibrate.

joey

Post by joey »

My car rattles and vibrates too, I was almost positive that is was in the strut and bushings but now I think its in the upper tranny mount, the mount looks pretty crappy and the rubber appears to be cracked.

Post by Guest »

Quote (joey @ Mar. 30 2003,21:42)My car rattles and vibrates too, I was almost positive that is was in the strut and bushings but now I think its in the upper tranny mount, the mount looks pretty crappy and the rubber appears to be cracked.
Tranny mount is on the left side, and there is only one, there is no upper or lower, just the one. There is a rt lower engine mount and a frt mount.

joey

Post by joey »

yes there is, the one that one the drivers side fender that "hangs" the tranny in place, Its big and bulky- hard to miss, its between the engine and the fender- maybe its because I have a 2.2 auto