The 3.1 for Dummies(like me)

Frequently Asked Questions
MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

The 3.1L MPFI Engine is commonly found in Early 90s Beretta's and some early Cavaliers, and the Beretta Indy.

3.1L = 3.1 Liters of displacement (189c.i.d.)

MPFI = Multi-Port Fuel Injection(not the best type, but is of a good quality, others are: Sequential Fuel Injection, Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection, Programmable Fuel Injection and others)

The stock 3.1 puts out about 140 Horsepower(HP)
AND 180-185 lbs/ft of Torque

Plugs = 3 are located in the front connected to three cables, the cables are connected in a specific order, the firirng order, DON'T mix them up.  There are also 3 located in the back of the engines where they are difficult to reach(8 of 10 on difficulty scale).

Air Filter = Commonly located in the front right of the engine bay(the big area where the engine is).  It is in a plastic box held with screws... air is related to how the engine runs... the cooler and more air the better... the Air Filter is directly involved in this.

Intake Plenum = You will notice the box that contains the air filter runs a large tube into the engine, where the tube connects is refered to as the Intake Plenum, because it is the air intake.  (specifically the throttle body)

Alternator = When the engine is running you will likely see very few things actually moving in open sight.  On the left of the engine is a motor looking item with a belt running around it.  This is the Alternator and the Alternator Belt.  The Alternator control the power, how the batter charges and the electrical system works.  These can get expensive if the break... it all depends.  A stock alternator should be around 80 amps.

[/b]Fluids =
-Oil = Has a cap to pour in the oil and a dipstick to check... these are labeled.  The dipstick has marks on it to determine if you have the proper amount of Oil.

-Brake Fluid = Usually won't be low... but must be checked, without it you will NOT STOP.  There is a cap and reservoir, but no dipstick.

-Transmission Fluid = This is required for shifting gears... This is a dipstick similar to the oil dipstick, the fluids for a manual and automatic are different.

-Coolant/Antifreeze = This keeps the engine from getting too hot or too cold.  In summer antifreeze will work, but water will also... in the winter however without antifreeze you might just... well it's not pretty i bet.

Changing the Oil = a jack is helpful, but not required.  Jack up the front of the vehicle, (use jackstands as often as possible).  Slide under until you see a large metal round type object... the oil pan.  You will notice that it has one bolt facing the rear of the vehicle.  When you remove this the oil WILL come out... have something under it,(it will be a little less then a gallon idealy).  Then close bolt when drained, lower vehicle, and replace oil by pouring 4 quarts into the reservoir from where the cap was.

-----------Indy Facts-----------------
(may apply to other models)

Brakes:
-Front = Disc Brakes, which means the pads squeezes the side of the rotor (which spins with the wheel).

-Rear = Drum Brakes, which means that the shoes are pressed out against the drum, (which is the large piece that goes over the shoes)  When the shoes expand you stop
Note:  If you lose one brake line... the others will eventually be disabled, because the remaining fluid will leak out.

Exhaust:
-Consists of manifolds, pipes, Catylitic Converter, a muffler, and tips.
   Manifolds - Connect exhaust to engine
   Pipes - the things that carry the exhaust
   Catylitic converter - Does something?  Necessary for emissions, if that is required in your state/county.
   Muffler - Makes your car sound nice and quiet
   Tips - Make your exhaust look cool, no function

This concludes today's lesson in the basics of the 3.1L MPFI Engine in case your are as oblivious as i was when i got my car.

[Edited to fix some errors]

Hope this was helpful,
Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
beretta-babe

Post by beretta-babe »

QUESTION???

What does one do when their 3.1 A/C is seizing up without shilling out major money?

Thanks,
Beretta-Babe
W/ 1994 3.1 base

1994 Base Beretta  
2005 Hyundai Elantra  
zach82

Post by zach82 »

Get a compressor of a junkyard car... it shouldn't be too expensive.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Post by Guest »

Quote from beretta-babe, posted on Nov. 15 2001,05:14
QUESTION???

What does one do when their 3.1 A/C is seizing up without shilling out major money?

Thanks,
Beretta-Babe
W/ 1994 3.1 base

Change the belt and roll the windows down.

Mark

beretta-babe

Post by beretta-babe »

Thanks guys...

I'm looking for a belt and I've always put the windows down since I've owned the car.

Beretta-Babe

1994 Base Beretta  
2005 Hyundai Elantra  

Post by Guest »

I have a really stupid question, I've seen alot of "Quad 4". what does this mean?

Post by Guest »

3.1L = 189cc??? might want to fix that...

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

quad 4 was/is GM's performance engine (4 cylinder) back in the day...they had two versions, high output (ho) which the beretta's had, and a normal one, which the likes of the sunbird and such had...

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!

Post by Guest »

Dude..Come on ..3.1L does not equal anything close to 191cc...try 3100cc. Maybe close to 191CI.
Geez most 1 cylinder bike have more that 191cc. CC=Cubic centimerters..CI=Cubic Inches

MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

Could someone explain to me WTF? is going on?  Notice Sloth's post count...  

Is 189cid better?  good.

-Jason

Post by Guest »

yeah tell me what's going on too..My count is still at 0! and my sig doesn't work.

Post by Guest »

He mistook CC for CI (Cubic Inches)

Post by Guest »

I HAVE A 94 BERETTA AND I WAS WONDERING WANT SIMPLE MODIFICATIONS CAN I MAKE TO GET A LITTLE MORE POWER:)

MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

First go to the performance section of the board....   (Besides a '94 isn't a 3.1MPFI).

-Jason

Post by Guest »

I've just resently gotten a Beretta, it's a 90 base with a 3.1L and the three speed auto. I was talking to a friend about it recently, and she brought up a good point. Even with a 3.1L, wouldn't the few number of gears make the engine more likely to overheat and possibly bust at higher speeds? It doesn't have a ton of miles on it for the year it is (70k miles) so I'm not relativly worried, but, I'd still like to be reasurred.