Wet carpet

Frequently Asked Questions

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

Hey all, i recently noticed that the carpet where the front passenger has his feet is wet.

I searched the forum but couldnt find anything about it,so... If anyone could point me to a previous post or if anyone know where the water could have gotten in please post and also, It would be great with a picture  

Thanks in advance

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

Well first of all, and I qoute this from the pinned topic 2 above your post...Quote BerettaGT/14ASEcerts
Master Car Technician

Group: Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When posting in this section please include year, model, engine, trans, mileage, and a detailed description of the problem. Also please follow through with the post. IF you find the problem on your own or on the advice of other Bnetters please let us know exactly what the cure was so that others may benefit from your post. Also in your topic title please decribe the problem, in the topic description please include the model, engine and trans--then in your post describe the problem in detail as best you can. This will make it easier for all of us. As always please try to use proper grammer and follow board rules. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation. I posted a topic as an example for all to follow. ÂÂÂ

Edited by JCZ26 on July 12 2003,11:16
and secondly, use a restroom and not your car. ÂÂÂ
Car ever had a windshield put in it?  Depending on the year etc, it's not the glass that leaks, but the plactic vent grille has to be re-sealed to the windshield (the vent grille has the wipers coming out of it.)

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

It's a 1990 Beretta GT3.1V6, had a new windshield put in last year by pro's , it has gone 220000km

A little late to change the topic/description now maybe, sorry

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

it's not the glass that leaks, but the plactic vent grille has to be re-sealed to the windshield (the vent grille has the wipers coming out of it.)  If that is not sealed to the glass, the rain runs down the windshield, under the vent grille, and into the vent on the rt side. That vent opens only when you have the a/c on Max. That vent open directly into the inside of the car...... and where would the water go? on to the floor. There still is one more thing that could do it, but take care of it one problem at a time.

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

Hey, would this be the same? The first leak explained
http://www.beretta.net/how_to/b-tech/waterleak.htm

Im having a hard time decoding those pictures Im going to look into the leak tomorrow

pudamobile

Wet carpet

Post by pudamobile »

it's either that vent leaking or actually there's a breather for the AC on the '90 i know that i had plugged up last summer...it's what drips the condensation out on the ground from the AC unit...my passenger floor was wet last summer and that was the problem.

pudamobile
1990 Beretta GT 3.1
Cherrybomb glasspack

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

Okay, so i think i have found the leak. It was a "cable hole".
But i dont know if water should come out there, there is this rubber  thingy that lets the water out right above where the cables go inside. First picture is the spot for the leak, and the second one is the rubber thingy.
Also, that is where all the water poured on the windshield on that side of the car ends up. Maybe something is clogged?

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

the hole you have circled is supposed to be there--just make sure the hole is not clogged up with leaves and such--then reseal the black plastic cowl panel to the w/s using urethane so the water goes on toip of it rather than down the windshield and under it into the heater box.

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

FAQ!

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

i have almost the same thing but its on the driverside and rear driverside.but just when it rains.so if you find out what it was could you please help me.its a 1992 automatic please help.thanks

Jeff P

Wet carpet

Post by Jeff P »

Hi Paula,

Leaks on the driver's side can come from the area under the wiper cowls (as mentioned above) when there is a skip or cracks in the sealer.  Make sure you check the drain point in this area (covered by a rubber flap) as sometimes there is a hole right there.  Water can also enter the cabin around the bulkhead connector, that big bundle of wires coming in by the top of your fender in the engine bay.  Sometimes it even leaks in around the hood release cable right beside the bulkhead connector.  The seal around the door occasionally allows water entry.  As mentioned above, a poorly sealed windshield is another possible cause.  If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, a hole may have been drilled somewhere in the firewall (most likely beside the hood release cable) to allow wires to pass from the engine bay to the interior of your car.  There are channels in the floor that allow water to move from the front footwell to the rear footwell, so you're probably not looking for a leak in the rear of the car.  Hope this helps

-Jeff P.
'88 Beretta GT
'89 Beretta GT

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
berettajunkie1991

Wet carpet

Post by berettajunkie1991 »

i have a 91 Beretta GTZ with a V6 3.1 and i have noticed when i do turn the max ac on water comes on the passenger side floor and gets everything wet could someone tell me where the breather is so i can check that first instead of ripping into my car

Jeff P

Wet carpet

Post by Jeff P »

Hey Aaron,

There is a rubber drain tube that exits near the bottom of the firewall in the engine bay.  It should be almost in the center.  Either that is plugged, so water is backing up and overflowing into the interior of your car, or the casing in your climate control box is broken or not sealing.  Those are my closest guesses, anyway.  Best of luck in figuring it all out

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:

Wet carpet

Post by Guest »

I have a 1994 Z26 with a 3.1  with 178, 000 MI,  just bought  it
I also have the wet carpet on the driver side floor, and sometimes on the passenger side floor too, I don’t drive the car but after it rains there’s that puddle and it is not sanitary not to mention the big rust holes below the door hinges that the side sills are attached too, I am not mechanically inclined but maybe I can figure it out, If knew the source of the leak also. I wonder if a mechanic or maybe a Chevy dealership can fix this.

Jeff P

Wet carpet

Post by Jeff P »

Hey Nick, I thought I'd reply to both your posting and your message here just to add to the FAQ.  The wiper cowls (the black plastic pieces around the windshield wipers) are held in place by plastic screws which can be pried out with a trim removal tool or a screwdriver.  To remove the covers completely, it's best to remove the windshield wipers first (they can be stubborn).  Remove the plastic cap and disconnect the tube where they come through the cowl, remove the nut (1/2" or 13mm), then pry off the wiper arm.  Removing the covers will give you a good view of the drain area at the base of the windshield.  At this point you'll also be able to seal the base of the windshield if necessary.  The driver-side rear corner of this drain area is where water drains down behind the fender, and is probably the source of your door sill rust.  The passenger side leak may be coming from the big bulk of wires in the top rear corner of the engine bay beside the fender, or it may be coming from the drain area mentioned above.  Either the old sealer is cracking, or they missed a spot.  Check especially around the little rubber drain flap on the front side of the drain area.  It really helps to clean the entire area in there first so that you have an unobstructed view of the sealer.  It's hard to see through dirt

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned: