Throttle body

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Throttle body

Post by Guest »

Hey guys, this is my first pot on the intakes page...I think my Intake phlenum has some "gunk" built up on it, so I was thinking of cleaning it along with the rest of the throttle body.  Can this be done without taking it off the engine?  Does the inside and outside need to be cleaned...what should be used to clean them with.  Anyone who has some insight on this, I would appreciate as many suggestions as you have to give.

Also, the "problem" I'm trying to fix is a stumbling/hesitation when I try to accelerate going up a hill...I have to downshift in situations I normally should not have to downshift.  I know it could be the injectors or a lazy fuel pump, but thought I'd try the cheap fixes first...

tweekster64

Throttle body

Post by tweekster64 »

1. Try using some GumOut carb and choke cleaner, the stuff that says it won't hurt the fuel injection, my 2.8 had the same problem.....

2. Spray some around where the throttle body connects with the air intake, if idle drops, take a T-20 torx driver, and tighten it up, if that don't help, replace the gasket...

3. If that don't help, ask someone with a Diagnostic Computer to help you..........

1991 Ford F150 Lariat XLT ext cab-short box
1990 Lincoln Town Car
   I'll have another Beretta someday

Throttle body

Post by Guest »

ive already done this twice and it really does help out.

things you will need:
1)1/2 inch socket and ratchet(have an extension handy too)
2)small apex
3)flathead screwdriver
4)octane boost/carb/fuel injector cleaner(gunk recommended)
5)very ligh grain sandpaper or at least a rag

things too do:
1)take the flathead screwdriver and take off the airbox lid and remove the filter
2)loosen the clamp connecting the throttle body to the intake(black rubber hose that goes to the airbox)
3)remove any sensors connected to the throttle body using the apex
4)seperate the throttle body from the manifold plenum using the ratchet and 1/2in socket
5)remove any debrise from the inside of the throttle body by spraying the gunk into it and taking the sandpaper/rag to it

thats it, just make sure you dont get anything into the manifold plenum and wipe out the TB if using sandpaper.

MAKE SURE to replace all sensors especially the one underneath the TB(which must be put on before reinstalling TB)
if you are doing this you might as well put in a cool air intake info is located in this sites custom modification center hope i helped some

Throttle body

Post by Guest »

put a vacuum tester on the motor, it should read about 22....if lower you probably got a vacuum leak and that will cause the problem

Throttle body

Post by Guest »

3M makes a thortle plate and intake cleaner you can use it works pretty good. i used it on my 89 gtu.

Throttle body

Post by Guest »

i would just take of the plenum and tb the gaskets are only like 15 dollars and when i did mine i used a wire brush and lots of gunk and power washed them. then repolished my plenum and valve cover