Stuff to think about...

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
stizkidz

Stuff to think about...

Post by stizkidz »

Today, I was very very bored so I opened up the hood of my 1990 GT (all stock)...
I unscrewed the air box and lifted it out.  I discovered, what looks like the original air filter as well as much dirt and leaves and junk in there.  I cleaned all that junk out of the filter, housing, and intake tube.  Just out of curiosity, I started the car with the cover off.  I checked the intake and I could immediately hear the air being sucked into the engine.  I put my hand up to the tube and I could actually feel the air being sucked in.  This makes me think just how much potential this could have for a really well designed intake.

Also, if you look under the right fender, you will see a wheel well inlet which reminds me of cold air induction.  I would like to use a newer and better intake than the obviously restrictive stock air box.  But, I wouldnt want to overlook the wheel well inlet.  Any ideas on utilizing this?

Finally, a friend of mine told me about some product called a "Tornado", that you put in the intkae tube that somehow spins the air and increases HP.  Has anyone ever heard of this or know if it really works?

Thanks,
Ben

Sold:
-90 Beretta 3.1 auto, red
Offroad Rig:
-88 K5 Blazer 5.7 manual, black
Showcar:
-87 Buick Grand National 3.8 Turbo auto, black
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
-98 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 manual, green

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

Um, Tornado doesn't work.  It sometime block air from entering, so don't need to get it.  There is a cold air intake system for $130.  The tubing seems to drop down from the TB to below where the air box is.  Ask BlueBeretta about it if you're interested.

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

Yeah there is no need for the Tornado air induction system.  I think there is dyno slips of someone on here that had that hooked up to a Q4 and it actually decreased HP.  You would be better off to leave it the way it is, or customize but risk actually hurting performance.  By the way im going to beat Dante to this post and tell you that he would say to just slap a cone filter on and be done with it.  

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I was reading that post thinking - "I really should tell this guy to just slap a filter on it"...

That comment made my day!  

stizkidz

Stuff to think about...

Post by stizkidz »

Ok...

So what you are saying is, that the Tornado thing does not work?  Has anyone else tried this thing out to back this up?

Where can I get more info for the cold air induction?

I plan on simply using the instructions on this website to make a custom air intake with the cone.  What should I know about this?  What kind of pipe do I need to use and how do I get it bent to fit?  Any info on this intake is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Sold:
-90 Beretta 3.1 auto, red
Offroad Rig:
-88 K5 Blazer 5.7 manual, black
Showcar:
-87 Buick Grand National 3.8 Turbo auto, black
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
-98 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 manual, green

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

Personally, here's what I'd do...

Just take the entire box off.  Then, put a cone filter in place of the box and use the stock intake piping.

Everyone always talks about cold air intakes, but honestly, by the time the air hits the engine, its already pretty warm, so IMHO its not even worth the effort.

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

and you still got it in Dante....  

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

But but but... doesn't cold air/ram air give you like 20 horsepower??!?!?!!

well --- doesn't it@??@?@

<--- complete freak.

rweatherford

Stuff to think about...

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Jan. 20 2002,10:51)But but but... doesn't cold air/ram air give you like 20 horsepower??!?!?!!

well --- doesn't it@??@?@

I'd recommend the extra effort for cold air...

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

3100SFI

Stuff to think about...

Post by 3100SFI »

Quote I'd recommend the extra effort for cold air...

Me too...

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

Care to explain why???

mcgavinz26

Stuff to think about...

Post by mcgavinz26 »

Not taking sides here, but I would say it's worth the effort too.

Why?  well all I have to back that up with is the "seat of the pants" method, which I'm not a strong beleiver in.  When the tracks open up again in the spring I want to test out the cone close to the engine vs. actually away from the engine compartment, OEM computer vs Fastchip computer, exactly how much weight hurts 1/4 mile times, and 52mm vs 56mm vs 60mm throttle bodies.

http://www.speedlimit88.com
1994 Z26 - 3400, 5spd, supercharged, propane, megasquirt - RIP
1988 Fiero GT - 5psd, LX9, M90, Megasquirt
1999 Buick Regal GS -daily driver
Ribz80

Stuff to think about...

Post by Ribz80 »

I tried many different intake configs. I even screwed with the brackets and faced the cone like on a 3100.  Every single time I changed something I coud feel the effects.  It is worth it if you can get MORE cool air and KEEP it cool.  I have my cone lower and pointed into where the factory snorkel goes.  It is a heat shield filter but I am also building an aluminum heat shield to completely isolate it from under hood heat.  Then I am going to insulate the intake pipe.  Once I port my exhaust manifolds I am covering the x over and manifolds with headerwrap.  Thats about as cool are my intake is going to get.  However for $250 ricers have a new goody called a front mount intake.  It looks like an intercooler and I know yuo could make it fit on a Retta:)

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006

Stuff to think about...

Post by Guest »

I just did what Dante said.  I took off the box & slapped a RActive heat-shield filter on it & added sum rubber PVC piping to extend the intake.  Total cost: $40 for filter, $5 for PVC piping @ Home Depot.

rweatherford

Stuff to think about...

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Jan. 21 2002,3:48)Care to explain why???
Since the quad4 has the IAT in the intake manifold you should talke a scan tool and see what your intake temperatures are.  I bet they are pretty dang hot.

My car runs makes more power with cold air and I'm sure your's does too.  Perhaps you have noticed this on the cool nights when you are out street racing?  Or perhaps not with the cone up in the heat?

I say it's worth it.  Just my $.02  On my 89 GT I recorded temps of up to 180 where the factory air box is.  That's pretty warm.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)