Quad 4 head flow

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
90BerettaGTZ

Quad 4 head flow

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

hey guys,

has anyone bench flowed a quad head? id like to see what they flow on both sides. im not looking for max flow, i want the full spread from .100 to say .600 or whenever the port stalls.

telling me 280 intake 175 exhaust means nothing.im looking into doing my own port work and id like to see what i have to start with so i can tailor it to the most benefit.

thanks.

rweatherford

Quad 4 head flow

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (90BerettaGTZ @ April 07 2002,10:12)hey guys,

has anyone bench flowed a quad head? id like to see what they flow on both sides. im not looking for max flow, i want the full spread from .100 to say .600 or whenever the port stalls.

telling me 280 intake 175 exhaust means nothing.im looking into doing my own port work and id like to see what i have to start with so i can tailor it to the most benefit.

thanks.
Search on the Quadfourm messages and you will find what you are looking for.

There should be measurements at various lift points and the amount of vacuum should also be there.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Quad 4 head flow

Post by Guest »

Quadfourm:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quadfourm/

Incase you were unfamiliar with them.  Took me awhile to find it.

90BerettaGTZ

Quad 4 head flow

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

thanks. i did a 30 minute search [ after i figured out how to log in heh ] and came up with wasted time.

maybe my wording was wrong or something but i was searching with phrases like head flow, quad4 head flow, heads, flow chart..ect ect. =(

thanks for the redirect anyways.

if anyone has an actuall chart please id like to see it. thanks.

Quad 4 head flow

Post by Guest »

I don't think there is one on there, i have been a member for a while now, and don't recall seeing one.  You should post asking if anyone has one that they could put up.

rweatherford

Quad 4 head flow

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (90BerettaGTZ @ April 08 2002,06:35)thanks. i did a 30 minute search [ after i figured out how to log in heh ] and came up with wasted time.

maybe my wording was wrong or something but i was searching with phrases like head flow, quad4 head flow, heads, flow chart..ect ect. =(

thanks for the redirect anyways.

if anyone has an actuall chart please id like to see it. thanks.
Try this then...

http://users.skynet.be/nvmygtz/

Thanks to Adam for such a good page.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

90BerettaGTZ

Quad 4 head flow

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

ah ha ;D

thanks Rex for taking the time to look. much appreciated.

90BerettaGTZ

Quad 4 head flow

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

is there any reason the heads were only tested to .400? even if flow dropped to 240 cfm @ .500 lift thats still enough to support a measly .430-.480 lift easy. port stall and saturation are an issue i know.

i was hoping to find exhaust side cfm. i didnt plan on touching the intake side at all. if flow can get to 215cfm exhaust side thatd be about 73% ratio [ in my head ], that aint bad considering 75% is optimal.

Quad 4 head flow

Post by Guest »

Well the quad 4 head was mainly restricted on the exhaust side, since the intake side flowed 20cfm less then the head on a 350 (as it says on that site) As it was said on the QuaFourm you have to be very carefull if your going to work on the intake side, port and polish the bowls on the exhaust side, and port match the manifold. There is a post about it from somene responding to my question, look up Porting... or port and polish, or even headwork..

Quad 4 head flow

Post by Guest »

Well the quad 4 head was mainly restricted on the exhaust side, since the intake side flowed 20cfm less then the head on a 350 (as it says on that site) As it was said on the QuaFourm you have to be very carefull if your going to work on the intake side, port and polish the bowls on the exhaust side, and port match the manifold. There is a post about it from somene responding to my question, look up Porting... or port and polish, or even headwork..

90BerettaGTZ

Quad 4 head flow

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

ouch double whammy post heh.

im not touching the intake side. its fine where it is. its tempting to try and improve low level lift. exhaust is what im looking to really improve, my question still stands though. why did the head flow readings stop at .400?? i doubt a head that flows that strong is going to go into port saturation with .100" lift especially at that low a lift. it might very well be that but id love to see the numbers to see how big the port really is and what, if anything could be done to improve flow.