What exactly is a cold air intake?

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

What exactly is a cold air intake. I know my friend has one on his mustang. Is it wheere the end of the filter is open? I have the 9" K&N on my beretta. I was wondering if it can be made a cold air intake my cutting the end open?

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

A TRUE cold air intake, is an intake that sucks in COLD air so that the engine gets more dense air and that equals more power, remember the K&N commerical, more air=more power...and no it doesn't necessarily have to be in the form of a cone...this is a bit from street cars, but my friend's circle track car, he used tubing to go from the air cleaner holder to the place where the lights would be so, when he's goin down the track at 100+ he's gettin some really cold air...just an example..

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Post by Guest »

Do not cut a hole in the end of your filter!..that has nothing to do with making it a CAI.

Post by Guest »

As we all know cold air is denser(take up less space) than hot air.  So the colder the air, the more you can fit into one given space.  The more air you can draw into an engine the more power it can make.

A TRUE cold air intake isolates the incoming cold air from the hot engine bay.  

My friend's 2000 Dakota 3.9 has a cia.  What his looks like is the intake tube goes into a topless "three walled" area ontop of the inner fender.  The open end is on the outer side of the "box", by the grill and everything.  This takes in the cold air that hasnt been heated up from the engine and keeps it seperate.  Inside this closed in area is the filter, cone or square or what have you.  The hood then closes and seals making the "top" of the box.

So the whole point behind the cia is to Isolate the incoming "cold air" from being heated by the engine.