Home made intake

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Home made intake

Post by Guest »

I want to build my own intake for my 3.1.  I allready know that if you flow more air into the intake the exhaust needs to be opened up to acount for the change in gas volume.  So I'm running a glass pack on the stock 2" pipe.  Thats the only performance mod I've done so far.  I'm trying to do this with as little money spent as posible.  Hince the glass pack and the 2" pipe.  I would like any ones opinon on:

what size intake tube, metal vs. other materials, will I realy notice a difference between a $20 cone and a $40-$60 cone???  Can I get all the rubber fittings at home depot also?  Thanks for your help
Brian

Home made intake

Post by Guest »

Here is a link to the Beretta.net "Modifications" section on adding a cone filter to your car. There are also several threads started in this section about this topic. Check them out and let us know if you need anything else.

http://www.beretta.net/performance_corn ... /cone.html

Home made intake

Post by Guest »

Thanks, but I've read that article like four times allready.  I was looking for opinions on what works better, as far as diff brand cone filters, if I realy need to go to a "speed shop" (Kinda rare to find one in Maine) to get the rubber adaptors, etc.  I was going to try using a section of 3" steel exhuast pipe and just paint it so it doesnt look like sh##.  Im also just going to drill and tap holes for the breather tube and air temp senser.  Any sugestions?

Home made intake

Post by Guest »

Quote (Zippo9783 @ Jan. 09 2002,1:49)as far as diff brand cone filters
I currently use a 3" dia hole - 6" long shorty cone filter made by K&N. It was about $35 or so. I prefer K&N because they use a red oil that filters small dirt particles better than a dry filter. I also have used Weapon-R, but I didn't really care for it. They use a meash made of plastic that seems like allot of dirt can get by - IMO.

Home made intake

Post by Guest »

sounds good to me, thanks