Tb coolent lines

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
90BerettaGTZ

Tb coolent lines

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

just remove it and be happy.

its there for emissions as well as keeping the fuel from freezing and TB plate from sticking from thermal contraction.

your motor isnt going to bust the block or stick open or any of that bs. itll be fine, go ahead n do it. yes there is a very very very very slight possiblity with the throttle sticking if youlive up north, just reconnect the lines in wintertime if youre unsure.

lugnutz

Tb coolent lines

Post by lugnutz »

I did a TB coolant bypass over a year ago when I removed the TB to clean it, so far there hasn't been any problems.  I also didn't have any trouble passing the emissions test either.

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

i did it with the 3.1..no problems..not sure of the gain..but i would put it back in the winter if its cold by you..

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

The hot coolant heater supply (at least on the 3.1) is what the pipe is to & out of the throttle body. The coolant is block/head (radiator bypass) coolant that starts to warm up immediately the engine is started & is routed directly to the T/B and then to the heater. Really needed up here in Canada. It's only job is to keep the throttle body directly where the throttle plate resides free of ice. Ice can form under some high humidity & usually slightly above (up to about 45 deg.) inlet air temperatures. This is because as air passes through the throttle area there is a pressure drop & and a temperature drop of the air (physics) & the moisture in the air can freeze, blocking the space between the throttle plate and its bore. This will probably occur at idle or just above & I believe on most cars probably on warm up. At idle on these cars the throttle plate is just about fully blocking the throttle bore, but if this small gap were blocked by ice it could cause a drooping idle rpm which would cause the ECM to drive the Idle Air Control Valve open possibly to it's open limit, causing a idle control issue. There are also ports of varying sizes (vacuum for example) right at the throttle valve.  The Idle Air Control Valve is controlling almost all the air at idle & I gotta believe that it is being kept free of ice (from cold being transferred from the throttle bore housing close by) also by the hot coolant circulating through the throttle body. Unless you drive in nothing but plus 50 deg. weather, leave it alone. There will be no noticeable difference if it is removed. The slight amount of heat that might be transferred to the air doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

The only reason I can see removing it for is if you take the throttle on and off enough that it bothers you or if you are in hotter temps all the time.  The throttle will still get as warm as always, being that it's attached to the engine, it will just take longer to do so.  This coolant line is not on the 94 and 95 3100s, but it is on the 96 3100.  If GM didn't put it on 2 years of the engine and that one works fine, then they changed nothing and added that line again... I would say its useless, obviously.