Tb coolent lines

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
berettajeep

Tb coolent lines

Post by berettajeep »

There is coolent lines going to my TB.thought about connecting those two coolent lines together and adding a hose that goes from the front of the car through one of the coolent passages in the TB to force cool air in[ram air lol].Doesn't fuel prefer to be cold rather then hot? is this reasonable?do we see problems with this?

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

There could be a problem,  They made the coolant go through the intake to keep it at about the same temperature all the time.  So you have a normal...if you didnt have that it might get too hot or too cool and that would make your car run different... Yes it would help you a lot, but can you keep it at a consistant temperature?

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

you can bypass the tb..for suposedly a little hp gain for the summer..and i don't know exactly what your talking about doin

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

Some throttle bodies don't even have the coolant lines in them. I don't think any of the 3100s have coolant lines  

Nafterclifen

Tb coolent lines

Post by Nafterclifen »

berettajeep,

What you want to do won't help you any. You want to modify your throttle body by installing a "coolant by-pass hose," as we call it, and I bet you're thinking that it will make the air colder. Eh, it's not 100% true but it may help in the long run. The true CAI (Cold Air Intake) would be to have a cone style air filter somewhere outside and away from the engine (fender, bumper, etc) so that it sucks in cold air. You'd then have a pipe carrying it into the thottle body and yes, that would make a dramatical difference.

1996 Beretta Z26
15.412 @ 88.03 MPH
Nafterclifen

Tb coolent lines

Post by Nafterclifen »

Btw, some 3100's do have the coolant lines. If I'm not mistaken, the earlier 3100's (94 and early 95) which were OBD-I, did not have them. The later 95 and 96 3100's did have them. Just for reference, I have a 96 and it has the coolant lines. McGavin (Scott) has a 94 and does not have the coolant lines.

1996 Beretta Z26
15.412 @ 88.03 MPH
berettajeep

Tb coolent lines

Post by berettajeep »

Quote Posted on April 28 2002,11:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
berettajeep,

What you want to do won't help you any. You want to modify your throttle body by installing a "coolant by-pass hose," as we call it, and I bet you're thinking that it will make the air colder.

no no no i want to make the throttle body it self cooler by a few degrees,i already have the cold air intake.  I just needed some info as to if this is wise or if anybody else has done this.

beretta is gone. -sigh-
Chris88CL

Tb coolent lines

Post by Chris88CL »

The only problems you would see would be in the winter time.  The coolant flows through there to keep the throttle from sticking open/closed.  If you live in a cold climate like I do then you cant bypass the hose because your throttle plate will stick wide open and you'll be in BIG trouble.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

Quote (berettajeep @ April 29 2002,4:17)no no no i want to make the throttle body it self cooler by a few degrees,i already have the cold air intake.  I just needed some info as to if this is wise or if anybody else has done this.
There's a writeup on www.V6Z24.com, with pictures.  They provide a part number for a GM replacement hose, which allows you to do this without any custom hose bending.  Should work on our cars (the 2.8 and 3.1, anyway).  There's people here who've done it...  any problems anyone?

Nafterclifen

Tb coolent lines

Post by Nafterclifen »

I have not heard any problems resulting from this. People say the throttle could stick open but from what I hear from GM, it's just supposed to keep the TB at a fairly constant temperature. Think about it... When the car is cold and there's no coolant flowing, the throttle body is cold. I've never heard of anyone having problems with it locking up. Then, when the coolant does pass into the throttle body, it's usually at a fairly constant temperature while driving (except in traffic). It therefore keeps a relatively constant temperature so the computer doesn't have to do much configuring for colder air, more fuel, etc. Point blank, the butterfly will not freeze.

As far as cooling the TB with air like you said berettajeep, it's going to take a whole lot more than outside air to cool a heated piece of metal. I doubt hooking up some kind of ram air to the bottom of the TB will help.

1996 Beretta Z26
15.412 @ 88.03 MPH

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

the throttle plate is mechanically opened and closed(throttle cables) so how is cooler fluid going to make it stick?

Kevskate99

Tb coolent lines

Post by Kevskate99 »

You could take the chance at cracking your block if you disconnect the lines.

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

Quote (Kevskate99 @ May 12 2002,12:17)You could take the chance at cracking your block if you disconnect the lines.
How do you figure?  

I have been running a hose to connect the two coolant lines while bypassing the TB and have experienced no problems.  I have ran it this was for about 2 months now, and it does seem to be slightly more responsive when the engine is warmed up, but that could all be in my head.  The old Seat-O-the-Pants dynometer could be out of calibration.  

It does make it easier to remove the TB though to work on the car.

Tb coolent lines

Post by Guest »

Quote (gtu55 @ May 11 2002,10:35)the throttle plate is mechanically opened and closed(throttle cables) so how is cooler fluid going to make it stick?
Condensation due to extreme heating and cooling of the motor in the winter could possibly create ice around the throttle plate, but i don't see that as being a problem.  As someone else mentioned, it works fine when the motor is cold in the winter.  I imagine it was there to keep the temperature constant so the MAT delay would not affect the system too badly.  (probably for emissions reasons)  That's just a guess though, so don't quote me!  

Kevskate99

Tb coolent lines

Post by Kevskate99 »

the block is cast iron right? and the heads are aluminum and if you get too cold of air going into the piston cyliders you take a chance of the metal reacting from being warm to having "extremely" cold air compared to what it is used to. And in turns *can* make the metal crack/warp.