Intake piping...

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I was wondering what cars run a similar piping/hose for the intake? The Prelude looks pretty close, but I'm not entirely sure. It looks like I'd have to cut off quite a bit.

Anybody know of which cars that I could use an intake pipe off of? I heard someone speaking of going to an exhaust shop and having them bend a 3" aluminum pipe, but the place I went to said they couldn't doing it without kinking it. So, I was just wondering what cars run a similar setup so that I can just buy the aftermarket piping for that car and cut it down to fit the GTZ.

Thanks
-Steve

Chris88CL

Intake piping...

Post by Chris88CL »

Im not sure about the quads, but for the 3.1L you can use the intake pipe off a 90-93 integra I believe.
Check out http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/gpxss/perf ... ntake.html
Its about halfways down the page.  It shows you where to cut the pipe and everything.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I don't know what the Quad 4 stock intake set up look like (from the air box to the TB).  But generally, you won't need a specific model.  Just look for a set up on Ebay with a certain 45 degree bend.  I used a v6 honda set up and got two 45-ish bend out of the set up and one pipe.  
Any system with a 45 or so bend will work.  You'll just have to find something that mirrors the stock setup and go from there.

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I don't have a Q4, but I just bought some rubber PVC elbow from Home Depot (don't know if you got that store by you) or any hardware store for about $8 and I extended the stock piping.  I also took off the plastic piece that connects the intake pipe to the motor and replaced that with a 3in rubber PVC straightpipe & attached a breather (mini-filter) onto the motor.  It sounds a lot louder than stock & I can hear it breathing in air right after I turn off my car for about 10 seconds.  I would try to do something with rubber, since it is flexible unlike metal.  But that's just my opinion...

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

The hose on the Quad 4 is shaped like an S. Not as dramatic as the S, a little more drawn out. The muffler shop I went to wouldn't bend a 3" aluminum pipe. They said it'd kink.

Any ideas for intake piping that I can use? I don't want to use PVC piping or the stock rubber piping because my cone filter keeps popping out no matter how much I tighten it.

-Steve

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Ghetto rig some metal dryer hose?
You might be able to order a mandrel bent 3inch piece from jcwhitney..

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

If you have a RActive heat-shield air filter, it should fit snug onto a 3in rubber PVC pipe...and the camps should keep the filter from falling off...my RActive filter is inside the 3in rubber pipe & clamped & it hasn't fallen off ever (which is about 8 months).

MAJ28

Intake piping...

Post by MAJ28 »

so say i'm on my way out to get all the stuff to build this intake on a 3.1, I need
   ÂÂÂ
  - A 3" piece of PVC
    - A K&N 9" (length) and how many mm???
    - And a breather that is ___  mm???
    - 2? or 3? clamps, what size???
   ÂÂÂ
Anything i missed?

Thanks in advance,
 Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

If you buy a rubber PVC pipe like i did, the clamps are already on the pipe.  The breather is not necesary b/c you must still use the stock piping w/the computer chip (unless something else can be done about that) & one that has the hole in the pipe for the connecting plastic piece to the motor.  Then just add a 3in piece of PVC rubber to extend the piping & the filter will suck more air in if it's pointed @ the ground since our cars get the air from the bottom.  Try to find a breather that will hook up to that plastic piece and just replace the pipe with the hole in it.  I bought a PVC elbow, since I needed it to bend in a "L" or "J" shape from the stock.  My setup is 2 pieces of PVC rubber, one elbow and one straight (both came w/clamps on them already), a breather that I glued using plummer's glue on the plastic piece (but it still fits snug w/o it), and a RActive heatshield filter which is attached to the pipe with the computer chip embedded in it (since the engine light comes on if you take it out).  I'm not sure what size my breather is, but I thought that they all were the same...

Bri

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I'm now a dealer thru vibrant. They sell universal bends for intakes. They have a 90deg bend which would work great for a low mount on the quad. And they also have 45 deg bends that should work for the V6 (based on what I've seen of my friends car). Part numbers are 2175 and 2176. Forgot which was which though.

just an idea.

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

if you have a 2.0L or 2.2L here is a civic/integra intake for you
http://www.j-body.org/registry/1trucavalier/Img12.jpg

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

will just using the hard plastic pvc pipe be a good idea. or would the engine create damage to the piping?

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I have a piece of PCV pipe in my intake and it works nice.

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I'm just not for the PVC look.

As far as progress goes with the intake, my friend has one off of an Eclipse. Not sure what year though. It does have an S bend. He tried installing it on his '97 Z24, and it worked, but it was a little long. He would have cut it down, but he decided not to use. I figure since the TB on the Twin Cams is in the same location as the ones on the Quad 4s, then maybe the piping will work. I wouldn't mind cutting a couple inches off each end, as long as the bend allows proper clearance. I'll post info on how it goes. He's supposed to give it to me sometime this week. If it works, I'll make a post about what year Eclipse it was from and what manufacturer the piping is from. Also, I'll post the amount of cutting, if necessary, that needs to be done. Hopefully this will work.

-Steve

industrialstrength

Intake piping...

Post by industrialstrength »

I think the exhaust shop that told you they couldn't bend the 3" pipe is full of sh1t. I'm not positive but could you try a diffrent shop? Then again if the eclipse one works I'd probably get that 'cause then you could get one that was a pretty anodized color.

91 GTZ Q4