Intake piping...

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
Chris88CL

Intake piping...

Postby Chris88CL » Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:05 pm

Our local powdercoating shop can do the exact same anodized type coating for like $10 cdn so I wouldnt worry too much about that.  I was pretty amazed at some of the cool finishes the place could make.  They even had a glow in the dark powdercoat.  Im still thinking about using that for the undercarriage of the car (swaybars, control arms, subframe etc).  If it was bright enough then I might not even need to get underbody neons.  Whats the cop going to say if he pulls you over for neons and you dont have any...its just the car glowing :)  

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:39 pm

The plastic PVC won't hurt b/c my friend has an 86 Prelude SI w/a completely redone intake w/plastic PVC pipe & his car runs fine (170,xxx miles on original engine too).  I went with the rubber b/c it's more flexible b/c I have a GT & the intake is in the shape of a sideways "J."  You can try plastic, but I stuck w/rubber b/c I didn't know how to take the computer chip out of my rubber piece that hooks up to the mass air censor.  I didn't wanna fool around w/that, but if you know how too, then go w/all plastic.

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:30 am

what i was thinking about doing was using the pvc pipe, but i am afriad that i will melt or get damaged in the engine bay by the manafolds and such

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:13 pm

Hey puck, this guy got a cai from mantapart on his Q4...check it out:  The 2nd up from bottom pic

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:48 pm

I know about the Mantapart intake, it's just that it's overpriced. All they have on there is the fittings, a cone filter, and a small piece of piping. I think they want near $200 for it. That's insane.

As for what I might do if the Eclipse intake doesn't work. I think I'll go ahead and buy the intake piping sold at Autozone made for the Civic/Integra in cooperation with a smaller rubber piping [for the 90 degree bend]. Just like the Mantapart one, but this wil only run me about $30 total. That is, of course, if the Eclipse thing doesn't work well.

-Steve

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:43 pm

Thats pretty funny 200 for a bent piece of stainless, and a filter. It even goes into the original rubber part.

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:43 am

Sorry Puck, I didn't bother to check the price on mantapart.com...

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 09, 2002 4:22 pm

Quote (BerettaBri @ Feb. 09 2002,01:43)
Sorry Puck, I didn't bother to check the price on mantapart.com...

No problem man.

The exact price on the Free Flow Air Intake from Mantapart is $175.00.

I have some stuff to do today, so I'm going to try and finangle an intake on her tomorrow [if weather permits].

-Steve

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:45 pm

Lets us know how it goes, Puck. A description of parts and cost would be helpful, too!
My GTZ came with a Ractive filter ghetto-rigged with zipties on it. Thats going to hit the trash very soon. I might go with a stock airbox (Thanks Andy/yellow3800) or a custom job.

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:53 pm

The guy with the Eclipse intake is coming by tomorrow.

I have found something else. Here is an aftermarket intake for the '97 Cavalier Z24:

It looks like it'll work if you cut off a portion of it. The intake the guy is bringing over tomorrow would have worked on his car, but it was a little bit too big. So hopefully it'll work on the GTZ with just having to cut off a piece of it.

I'll post how it goes tomorrow [weather permitting]
-Steve

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:26 am

Ok, guys, before you have a heart attack on what to do about an intake for a Q4 or V6 Beretta, here are my thoughts. You may take them as you wish. They are not meant to discredit anyone or any ideas. They are just useful info.

I came up with a design in 1999 for the intake for a V6 Beretta because no one was making one at the time. It is a simple design than can easily be done by anyone with any type of basic mechanical abilty. I have made this same intake and sold to a few different people.

If a muffler shop says they can't bend 3" pipe into a 45 degree angle, then look for a shop that will. I have had 3 intake pipes made at a muffler shop as well as have some of the other Colorado Crew members. Aaron has one on his '92 GTZ as well.  Treacy, Nathan, & I also have them on our V6's. The guys with the '88 V6's have the unfortunate problem of the Mass AirFlow Sensor that cannot be removed. But you can attach a cone filter to it as well as removing the screen inside the sensor to gain more airflow.

I am attaching a link to a pic of the filter on my current '89 Base V6. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at:

blaze@ourpeak.com

http://www.ourpeak.com/blaze/NewIntake4.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---211K, about to hit 212
'76 Monza V8<---Race Car

MAJ28

Intake piping...

Postby MAJ28 » Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:30 pm

Blaze, i think your link is bad, unless it's me?

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k    < < < < <
> > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   < < < < <
~~~~~~~~Cleaned Up sig courtesy of Engray M~~~~~~~~

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:14 am

It might be you.  :)   I just tried it and it worked fine.  Also, please excuse the poor quality of the pic. It was taken with a regular camera and then scanned.

Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---211K
'76 Monza V8<---Race Car

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:15 pm

Quote (Blaze89 @ Feb. 11 2002,02:14)
Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---211K
'76 Monza V8<---Race Car

Jack, can you call the '76 Monza something else for the time being?? I mean, calling it a "Race Car" at the point is a little ...... out there ...... ;)

Call it something like "'76 Monza <--- rusty piece of poop, someday to become a Race Car!" :) hehehehehe

<--- giggling wildly... everyone hates me... :) :)  :D  :p

Intake piping...

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:47 am

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Feb. 13 2002,3:15)
Jack, can you call the '76 Monza something else for the time being?? I mean, calling it a "Race Car" at the point is a little ...... out there ...... ;)

Call it something like "'76 Monza <--- rusty piece of poop, someday to become a Race Car!" :) hehehehehe

<--- giggling wildly... everyone hates me... :) :)  :D  :p

Uhhh,   no. After all, no one has seen what I have done in the last month or so and no one will til I am ready. And BTW, it isn't rusty. I have all the performance stuff ready to install, just waiting for the block to return from getting bored out at the machine shop.  SO   :p  :p  :p

Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---212K and still a threat
'76 Monza V8<---RACE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Intake Archive”