Intake tube length

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Intake tube length

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2002 9:04 pm

I have a cone filter hooked up to my 2.3 now, but it just sits too close to the engine for my liking.  Filter even feels warm to the touch after i run it hard.  So i was thinking about running a tube down and into the grill, to make it almost like a ram air setup.  But the tube will be noticeably longer, almost three feet.  Will I loose power with length, or will this be a more effective setup?

Canada

Intake tube length

Postby Canada » Mon May 13, 2002 9:41 pm

the length of tube won't make a difference at all, the cooler air should make a nice gain when its all warmed up

length is only a matter when it comes to electircity, due to the resistance in the wire (ohms)

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Intake tube length

Postby Guest » Mon May 20, 2002 4:41 pm

sorry canada, but you are very wrong.  length does matter, in fact, just like electricity.  you won't be getting a ram air effect, your engine will still have to suck up the air.  a long thin tube will not work well.  that is why a lot of AEM short rams are a little smaller than the cold air setups.  a lot of companies who make the cold air add-on parts (if they are good) don't just extend the pipe, but enlarge it a great deal in some areas- almost to where they look like your esophagus, then expanding like a stomach, and then narrowing down again.  

just remember- your best bet is to keep some sort of an airbox that can suck in cold air- provided you have a nice insulated airbox and a free flowing filter as well as access to cold air.  all of the high-end honda tuning companies like spoon and mugen use them for track racing.

Chris88CL

Intake tube length

Postby Chris88CL » Mon May 20, 2002 7:51 pm

Intake tube length will affect your throttle response more than anything from what Ive heard.
UltraZ is right tho, depending on the intake setup and the engine a large "stomach" can be a very good thing.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Intake tube length

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2002 12:15 pm

like Chris88CL mentioned length will only effect throttle response, but the way i see it since the quad really doesnt start making power until around 4500RPM's you would benefit from the colder setup.

Return to “Intake Archive”