Iat resistor mod

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
stizkidz

Iat resistor mod

Post by stizkidz »

today, i completed the infamous iat resistor mod.  what i did was connect 4.7k and 3.3k resistors in a series together to make 8.0k.  i then cut the wires from the iat and spliced the two wires to either end of the 8.0k resistors.

my question is:  did i waste $2 doing this mod?  i was unsure if this mod made any difference whatsoever but i had some free time so i decided to do test it out...  so far, i have noticed no changes in idle or normal driving whatsoever...  

i figured that since i have the cone filter intake that it sucks up so much hot air that having the intake temperature reading be constant that it would improve the timing under hot driving conditions.

any input?
thanks,
-Ben

Sold:
-90 Beretta 3.1 auto, red
Offroad Rig:
-88 K5 Blazer 5.7 manual, black
Showcar:
-87 Buick Grand National 3.8 Turbo auto, black
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
-98 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 manual, green

Iat resistor mod

Post by Guest »

The resistor mod is just a myth. By tricking the computer into thinking you have cooler air, you are making your a/f ratio more rich, and therefore, wasting gas. If you want cool air make a cool air intake, dont go cheap.

stang&2Birds

Iat resistor mod

Post by stang&2Birds »

Quote (beretta3100 @ Aug. 03 2002,7:49)By tricking the computer into thinking you have cooler air, you are making your a/f ratio more rich, and therefore, wasting gas.
Nope, not even close.  When the car is warm, THE O2 SENSORS RULE THE WORLD!!!.  Jeeze, WHAT do people think O2 sensors do and why they are there?

The *in-line* resistor mod will do 2 main things:
o Your car MAY run richer at WOT.  So, it MAY help with qtr miles time.  It will NOT help at all during regular driving.

o During cold start, your car will run even RICHER (not really a good thing).  That will SHORTEN the life of the cats by "some amount".

So, if you do an IN-LINE resistor mod, it will "probably" not do anything good or bad.  If you replace your intake temp sensor with a resistor, then that is just plain foolish.  Shows a complete lack of understanding of FI.

IMHO:  Money is better spent on A BOOK.  What a concept, huh?  See amazon.com, the one by Probst is a good first start.

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc

Iat resistor mod

Post by Guest »

As I said before... The Resistor mod wont help at WOT(because of the comp getting a reading from the 02). The only thing it might help is "maybe" when your stopped using a CONE air filter under the hood. It might help you get a bit more fuel when you try to go from a stop...
I don't know where you came up with like all those resistors connected together tho..
2 15 K in parallel.. or 8.2 only is abt the value you need.
I'm too lazy to figure out what resistance your using..

stizkidz

Iat resistor mod

Post by stizkidz »

ok ok!

i get the point...  so im an idiot, lol.
anyway...

someone with a good understanding of FI, please give me some good advice on how i should run my iat setup the most effective way possible.  i currently have the standard stock intake tubing with the 11" big K&N cone filter on the end of it.  i can easilly tap a hole into the hose for the iat or i could easilly move it anywhere else on the car.  based on the current setup, the cone sucks up a ton of hot air and after 15 minutes of driving i can feel the engine bogging down when i step on it.

anyone that can give me some helpful advice, i would greatly appreciate it.  (as you can see, im desperatate and trying thisngs that dont work.)

thanks,
-Ben

Sold:
Offroad Rig:
Showcar:
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
RebelGT

Iat resistor mod

Post by RebelGT »

Quote (stizkidz @ Aug. 03 2002,11:37)someone with a good understanding of FI, please give me some good advice on how i should run my iat setup the most effective way possible.  anyone that can give me some helpful advice, i would greatly appreciate it.  (as you can see, im desperatate and trying thisngs that dont work.)
use the STOCK IAT setup, and get a chip from ben (www.60degreev6.com) , stop trying to fool the computer, just change it.

stizkidz

Iat resistor mod

Post by stizkidz »

ok,

i reconnected the wires tonight (from the iat to the iat wires).  do you get an SES light if you do it wrong cause i may have reconnected the wires the wrong way...  if this is possible let me know.  if not, then im switching back to the resistor cause now it is surging badly at idle with the normal iat reconnected.

-Ben

Sold:
Offroad Rig:
Showcar:
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:

Iat resistor mod

Post by Guest »

Quote (stizkidz @ Aug. 06 2002,12:47)ok,

i reconnected the wires tonight (from the iat to the iat wires).  do you get an SES light if you do it wrong cause i may have reconnected the wires the wrong way...  if this is possible let me know.  if not, then im switching back to the resistor cause now it is surging badly at idle with the normal iat reconnected.

-Ben
No you can't connect it backwards. Its just a resistor that varies with temp (thermistor).. I don't know why you cut it tho. Make sure you connected the wires back together good...like solder them together is how you should do it.