Cold air intake

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

I am wanting to start to add a few performance parts to my 94 Z26.  I have a few questions for anyone that has this mod or knows about it (sorry for all the questions).  Is this an ok place to start?  Is it a pretty easy mod to install yourself?  What is the cost of buying everything you need for it, and where is the best place to buy it?  Thanks for your help.

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Sorry about posting this twice.

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Nobody actually makes a true COLD air intake for 3100's yet.

My friend Canada has the RSM Racing underhood intake for his 3100, and it helped a TON (I think a good 8-10hp) past the power peak (5200rpm+), and adds probably around 4-5hp at the peak. Also, we ran a hookup to his IAT sensor and found out that it doen't heat up to bad in traffic (it didn't get over 100 deg, although it was only 55-60deg out), and cools down fast with around 35mph worth of airflow.

It cost him somewhere around $190-200 with shipping and tax with excellent customer service (he lost a piece and they sent a replacement for free the next day).

A good mod.

BTW....this should have been posted in the "Intakes" section....just FYI.

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Uh HUH!

RebelGT

Cold air intake

Post by RebelGT »

moved

Canada

Cold air intake

Post by Canada »

An intake would be an excellent place to start.......Check out FDP Performance.....I don't think they have an intake listed on there site......but they might be able to work out something.

If not an actual intake at least get a K&N cone filter.......the gains aren't as great.....but for $/hp its a good way to go.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Or, instead of laying down 200 bucks for an RSM intake, you could go to a exaust shop and have them bend a section of 3in pipe to fit in the engine bay. Then, get a throtle body coupler and a cone filter. That should only cost around 75-85 dollars depending on how much the exaust shop charges for bent pipeing.:)

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

An intake is a fairly easy mod and doesn't cost a whole lot.  You can't buy a intake for a 3.1 but a CRX si intake will bolt right on if you cut the smaller pipe in half and angle you battery a little.

KFLO 93 GT

Cold air intake

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

Quote (89-Beretta-GTU @ Dec. 01 2002,8:41)An intake is a fairly easy mod and doesn't cost a whole lot.  You can't buy a intake for a 3.1 but a CRX si intake will bolt right on if you cut the smaller pipe in half and angle you battery a little.
What the hell are you talking about?  

mantapart, rsmrcing, fdp all make one.

93 GTs

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Quote (Canada @ Dec. 01 2002,6:07)An intake would be an excellent place to start.......Check out FDP Performance.....I don't think they have an intake listed on there site......but they might be able to work out something.

If not an actual intake at least get a K&N cone filter.......the gains aren't as great.....but for $/hp its a good way to go.
I would recommend going with some 3" mandrel pipe to make yourself an intake.  A friend of mine built this one for his 3100 just last weekend and it sounds AWESOME.  I think the size and shape of the pipe helps create that "wicked" intake sound.

Check out the videos :

http://www.ourpeak.com/choate/videos/cocrew/nov27

We also got it hooked up with a nice 2.5" full exhaust system and a computer flash and man, it hauls ballz now

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Off hand, what year Beretta is that in the vid?

I'm assuming it's a 94 or early 95 cause I didn't see a MAF and you mentioned a computer reflash.

Did the reflash do anything for the shiftpoints, or just add a bit of power and ditch the governor?

Canada

Cold air intake

Post by Canada »

Where did you guys get the silcon connecters and all that jazz?

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

where does he have that intake going down to??? it looks like its going into the tranny!

Cold air intake

Post by Guest »

Hey Stencil guess what I just noticed, you was talking about my car  Yeah the intake I got done on my car sounds really nice, its best in my opinion to get exhaust/intake done at same time if you have money to do it.  Makes a huge difference on the cars performance.  And to answer some questions you guys are asking about my car, the Air intake goes into the front dirvers side of the bumper, although it may seem blocked off it gets tons of air and stays dry/clean from the protection of the bumper.  The computer flash made a HUGE difference in the shiftpoints and makes it so you shift alot harder/quicker, and you dont have that sluggesh downshift.  And the car is a 1995.  If you have any other questions please pm me!