What the difference?

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

I have a question that will probably stir the pot a little...What's the difference between using (any type - CRX, ractive, custom, etc...) an aftermarket CAI vs. utilizing the stock setup with a drop in?

I have a 95' Z26 that has the stock air intake that pulls cold air in from the fender/front.  I put in the K&N drop in filter to replace the AC Delco unit.  What would the difference be between the two???  If you had the aftermarket CAI inside the engine compartment, wouldn't you be pulling in engine heated air vs. the stock unit pulling in outside air???  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the CAI cause I put one on my Durango R/T, but on the Z - I don't see the point when you can utilize the stocker and have all the fittings for the IAT and so on.

Just curious ?

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

Cold Air Intake - CAI doesn't take in air from under the hood.  Properly designed and mounted it WILL draw in considerable amount of cooler air.  You have the 3100.  I'm not familiar with this intake setup but I do know that a factory design system can take in only so much due to the filtering element.  Replacing it with a cone will only allow you to suckin ALL the hot ambient temp inside the engine bay.  A CAI (when done right) will draw in cooler/colder air from OUTSIDE the engine bay.  And though it will warm by the time it reaches the TB, the differences in air temp SHOULD BE significant enough to warrant a considerable gain.  I'm not talking 10hp gain, but maybe enough for you to notice the change.
And since you will now have more air coming in, consider bore out the TB or going to a bigger size TB, 59mm is a good size.  But not before you do a nice Port and Polish on your intake manifold.  That'll give you some gain.  
And then you go to the exhaust side  and blah blah....

Basically, using a cone with the stocker might end up harming your performance.  Though not many has complaint about it....

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

Balli, I agree with you...but it looks like too many people are getting hung up on having a piece of pipe with a cone filter place next to their battery will help them.  You and I know that's not going to do it.  On my 95', the flow tube goes about 1' to the air box (towards the drivers side fender) then has a plastic formed intake that runs around the battery into the inner fender front bumper (behind the battery).

I'm thinking that this could be a "cheaper" option for those that do not want to go and spend much cash...just a little time raiding a junkyard.

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

Well.......

I do have one thing to say about underhood intakes. Canada put an RSM underhood intake on his 96 Base with a 3100, and even though it draws air from underhood, it made a HUGE difference at high rpm. I'm talking a very noticeable gain...like 10+hp PAST the power peak. The peak gain may have only been 3-5hp, but apparently the stock airbox is a VERY large restriction at higher rpm. He has run a K&N drop-in in the past as well, so he DOES have a basis for direct comparison. In additon, we have run a palm pilot with an OBDII reader program, and although intake temp can get up past 100 degrees F in traffic, by 35mph the temp drops right back down (my other friends 240SX with a stock airbox that also picks up cold air would hit 100 deg slower, but then HOLD it from then on).

A true Cold Air Intake would work even better, as it wouldn't suffer the effects of underhood heat-soak, AND would still have the benefit of the larger area cone filter as compared to the stock panel filter (cones have more surface area, and thus flow better).

And for those who like "Ram Air"....it's of dubious benefit, unless you are travelling at triple digit speeds.........

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

BB, quit it!!!!!!  I keep looking at that ****up Spiderman!!!  LOL (2X)

I can understand the benefit of a true (correctly done) CAI, (quit it spidey), but don't you need the most HP when your sitting still at the tree/stoplight?  Light Balli says up there, you hinder more than hurt!? (death to spidey)  LOL

Come on ram air hoods.......

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

Quote (lilguido1 @ Jan. 13 2003,10:22)Balli, I agree with you...but it looks like too many people are getting hung up on having a piece of pipe with a cone filter place next to their battery will help them.  You and I know that's not going to do it.  On my 95', the flow tube goes about 1' to the air box (towards the drivers side fender) then has a plastic formed intake that runs around the battery into the inner fender front bumper (behind the battery).

I'm thinking that this could be a "cheaper" option for those that do not want to go and spend much cash...just a little time raiding a junkyard.
I'm not trying to say that CAI won't be as effective as the stock intake.  The stock set up sucks.  The rubber hosing with kinks in it doesn't exactly helpt with much performance.  The kind of gain that a Cone give you will be in the top end, but I think you'll be losing some low TQ in the process.  The right kind of CAI, will gain you ponies, perhaps through out the entire powerband.  But there hasn't any dyno to prove this with the new CRX mod.  

Most modern car has a setup with some tubing that points to some area outside the engine bay.  But it's the combine force of the open element Cone filter and its placement in the direct path of air travel that will bring you the ponies you want.

KFLO 93 GT

What the difference?

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

I too have run the K&N drop in and then switched to the Mantapart Short-Ram Intake on my 3.1.  I can tell you that the difference was amazing.  The drop in had a minor effect on performance, mostly placebo, but I could tell the difference with the intake set up on.  With just the intake, a high flow cat, and a straight through muffler, and the headlight removed my car ran a 16.26, that is considered fairly fast for a very low modified 3.1 auto.  It was also my first time at the track.

93 GTs

What the difference?

Post by Guest »

Quote (KFLO 93 GT @ Jan. 14 2003,10:48)With just the intake, a high flow cat, and a straight through muffler, and the headlight removed my car ran a 16.26, that is considered fairly fast for a very low modified 3.1 auto.  It was also my first time at the track.
Another reason why just a Cone attached to the stock rubber hose won't gain you ponies.  If you want a noticeable gain, do what Kurt did.  Minus the removed headlight thing, it's quite unrealistic to do so.  

And if you had a 5spd, the differences would have been very nice to feel.  My 2.8 5spd had a renewed sense of life above 35OO.  The cone is dirty now.  Gotta go wash it.