Gaskets

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Gaskets

Post by Guest »

on wednesday i will be replacing my lower intake manifold gasket i need to know is do i need to buy the rest of the gaskets. thanks jared

Gaskets

Post by Guest »

The smart thing to do would be to replace all gaskets on everything you remove to get to the lower intake gasket.

Canada

Gaskets

Post by Canada »

I think Fel-Pro makes a kit.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Gaskets

Post by Guest »

yes, definately replace ALL the gaskets you come across on your way to your lower intake.  i recently tried to reuse my old crispy gaskets when i cleaned out my plenum and throttle body, it gave me all kinds of problems when one of the gaskets fell apart after i put everything back together.  any auto parts store should have all the gaskets you need and they shouldn't cost much either.

Gaskets

Post by Guest »

I can send you a copy of the detialed process of changing the lower intake manifold gasket I typed up a while back. You still need a chiltons or whatever to get the torque specs but the stuff I wrote lets you know little detials you might have questions with along the way.

Felpro makes a kit, comes with the lower and upper gasket.

You will also need a TB gasket (called a carberator gasket), and an Oil pump drive shaft O-ring. I think that is under the part name distributor oring even though we don't have distributors. as this o ring will be failed and leaking lots of oil.

Make sure you use an o2 sensor safe silicone and get one of very high temp. I'm not sure if there is enough in the Felpro kit. Also there is a coolant fitting that usualy breaks when you take it off the lower intake that you will probably have to replace.

You can possibly re-use your valve cover gaskets. I did as mine where in good shape. They were silcone. They will be a little stretched looking, but if you can fit them back in the covers you are good to go. Just inspect them well.

Can't think of anything else right now. Let it set for 24 hours after you put the silicone on to let it set up well.

Oh yeah after your' done start it up for a bit (remember to fill back  up with coolant&#33 rev it a little, then shut if off after about 2-3mins and change the oil to get rid of all the crap that might of fell down in the oil as you were cleaning the dirt and oil sludge out around the heads/camshaft area.

paintgod93

Gaskets

Post by paintgod93 »

Just go to the dealer and tell them what you are doing.  The stock delco gaskets work perfectly fine.  They also are not a pain in the ### to get on like the fel-pro.

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best
Chris88CL

Gaskets

Post by Chris88CL »

Just FYI, if you have a 2.8/3.1L you dont need to remove the TB from the upper intake manifold to remove the upper intake.
Most people remove it and I've never understood why.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@Hotmail.com

Gaskets

Post by Guest »

I assume he is working on a 3100 if he is replacing the lower intake gasket.

The 3.1/2.8's never have the problem of the failed lower intake manifold gasket. They have a paper type gasket that gets torqued down more and never leaks.

The 3100's have a plastic gasket with rubber inserts. The plastic over time seperates from the rubber and leaks.

And my FelPro gaskets were identical to the GM ones I took off. They went on fine.