Air filter housing

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

I have a 89GT, 2.8l V6  Would cutting the top of the air filter box increase performance at all.  Also, would it make my car sound any different, such as when i step on the gas when at idle will there be any change in sound.  And if it increases power, what it the quickest way to cut it.

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

Moved here for better exposure.  And to answer your question, it will flow better but you will be sucking in warm air from the motor thus potentially hurting performance.  Yes it may change the sound a bit.  No i dont recommend it because you may loose a bit of low end tq.

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

I would really like to know where the idea that installing a "larger" (cone???) air filter or punching holes almost anywhere to give more air flow and therefore more power is  coming from, on this & other web sites? Maybe the filter manufacturers? Seriously look at the areas (sq. inches) of the  the snorkel inlet, snorkel outlet, the filter element, (& filter housing), the duct to the T/B, and the throttle plate and if you get a chance, to the individual runners/ports leading to each cylinder. Unless the filter element is clogged/really dirty, as I have stated in another message, the choke (the restriction) in the system is the throttle plate bore, not anything upstream. The maximum volume of air that these normally aspirated engines can get is limited at wide open throttle & max. rpm to what the engine can "pull in" (it's a big suction pump) through this wide open throttle, which is then limited by the air pressure at the snorkel inlet at the time, (car stationary, no ram) but cannot be higher than one atmosphere.  (about 14.7 p.s.i.a.) The "standard" is actually 29.92 in. of mercury and the standard temp. is 59.0 deg.F. The pressure and the temperature of the air gives you the basic density or weight of the air (humidity comes in there too, but there is a small "correction" for that. These engines as they are with the stock heads/valves/valve timing etc, require a known max. amount of air and the intake system is designed with that in mind and I believe that the intakes as they are are capable of getting that air to the T/B. How often/long do you have the throttle wide open anyway?? If I try to punch my '92 3.1 5 sp. to WOT at launch/1st/2nd the left front wheel breaks loose every time. The 3.1/3100 engines are not "Big Breathers". The Quad is better. The auto manufacturers/engineers are not designing the intake systems the way the are for nothing. Think about it.... they could save a few bucks on each car if they just threw on a filter directly on to the T/B. Think how much money GM would have saved on the total number of cars produced in just a single years production. They even scrimp  to save just a few cents per unit!!!! With the old carbureted cars sucking air from the top of the engine or anywhere it didn't really matter. Fuel delivery was dependant on basically airflow through a venturi. There was no feedback system. The digital control with feedback on these newer cars is different. It required a lot more engineering. These cars have to meet driveability, mileage, and emissions requirements and do it for six years. (warranty) They were not built to drag race. If the system is working the way it should the 3.1/3100 powered cars can move along reasonably well. They only weigh about 2700 lbs. I see people doing things like cutting holes in the filter housing or putting a cone filter beside the engine, hanging the IAT sensor next to the engine, (all power robbers) getting rid of the stock inlet duct, buggering up the PCV system, trying to adjust a nonadjustable TPS or throttle stop, just as examples. If you are not sure exactly what you are doing & what it might do to the operation of the system, leave it alone. The only manual that explains how the system really works that I have seen is the  Service Manual. It explains what/where/why of every component in the system. Chiltons/Haynes manuals don't. To get real horsepower gains you will have to address not just one or two components in the system but the whole system. The system is not easily fooled. As I explained elsewhere on this message board the system is air density sensitive. Keep it cool!  I had made a ram air system to deliver air to the snorkel which seemed to collect a lot more junk/debris/dirt in the filter/housing cover, so I bought a K & N drop in. It paid for itself. This does seem to have improved midrange highway cruising (50 to 80 mph/2000-3000 rpm) throttle response but as mentioned elsewhere here I had done other things at about the same time. Keep the car as light as possible. My ram air system was less than a pound & the strut tower brace weighs maybe five.

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

an engine is a high tech air compressor, there, summed it up for you

3100SFI

Air filter housing

Post by 3100SFI »

Quote an engine is a high tech air compressor, there, summed it up for you
That's not what he's saying. Try reading it again.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

I keep swapping my cone filter/k&n drop-in around.
It seems to me is all it does is move the power up a bit.
Less torque pulling out with cone, a bit more top end.
Less top end with k&n drop in, more torque pulling out.
This is of course with the @ss dyno.

I think I'm going to stick with the drop in. Air intake temp is much lower when driving slow/in traffic.

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

OK, I cut the top of the box off.  So all of you are saying that I should now go to a junkyard and by the top again and put the car back to the way it was.  You are all saying that doing this, with the K & N filter I have installed, would actually give me more power, Right?

Air filter housing

Post by Guest »

my filter is dirty.... i need a new one..... i cut the top off.... no noise difference at all.... i cant hear the intake at all.......... i put a cherrybomb on my car... rolled up windows.. drove.... sounds like stock..... the 2.8 is extremly quiet... i plan on buying a new beretta in a year or so......