Air Box Mod 3100

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

Am I the only one to think of this? What I did was remove the stock air box and, taking into account the mounting points, used a saber saw to remove the bottom of the box. Don't remove too much, so as to decrease the structural integrity of the box, but enough so that as much air as possible is afforded to the filter. After re-installation of the box, a K&N filter was installed. So far, there has been a noticeable improvement, no problems, and it still looks totally stock.

gar187er

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by gar187er »

not a bad idea...alot of people end up modding the top of the air box, by either opening it up, or just taking it off.....but hey looks like you found a nice looking way

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

But if you cut the top of the box on the 3100 then there will be no filter to where the air comes in. Cut the bottom and the air still goes through the filter... I had also though of cutting a large hole in one of the sides and running a large pipe to my grill with the bowtie on it. I have space that would let that work.... Just never tried it.

Or cut a large square in the front or side facing the engine, and make a door out of it. With a solenoid or something to open it up at high rpm So you keep your low end power and then once your going flip a switch.. Hell even get an exhaust cutout that goes to a straight pipe out the side of the car and have that open via soleniod at the same time... Could be pretty neat on the highway. *flick* *vrroooOOOM!*. pretty loud but would be a neat trick hehehe.

CoolZ26

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by CoolZ26 »

I did that before I got my intake on my car.  I used the elastic things to hold the filter in the top lid of the airbox.  Its alright, but an intake is better.  You have straight metal piping instead of ribbed plastic.  Me and my friend did this to one of my friends RX7 also, until he got an intake.

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

For everyone that talks about cuting the top off of the airbox, that is for the Quad 4. The air box it backwards on the 3100. But like Bing said you can cut the bottom off.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

Now that I think of it, why cut anything off? Just find a way to fasten the filter to the upper part of the air box and completely remove the lower half. There is just a bolt holding the lower half on, right? I guess it would kind of look like those new intakes for the ricers, the front mount ones. It would just be facing down. I think you would get more air but wouldnt the air be hotter?

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

I actually did that by siliconing the air filter to the lid part of the air box and took the bottom off.  It makes a crappy sound and i actually think it hurt performance.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

Actually It is warmer air but it makes up for it a bit by being higher flow. Rex did a dyno test on cutting the top of the quad 4s air box. It lost low end power but gained 3hp top end.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

The polisehd metal on the ricer intakes is smoother so theres no ribbed rubber messing up the flow. But metal conducts heat and would heat up more. So if I were to use that metal piping I would wrap it with header wrap or some other insulation. It wouldn't be all shiny pretty but it would keep it more cooler.

Also becareful not to get silicone particles into your engine as it will destroy your O2 sensor. Also if you detail your engine with armorall don't get it on the O2 sensor as it has silcone in it as well...

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

The 3100 with the 4t60 has a bad enough time getting off the line, why hurt the torque even more...
Maybe it was the brand of cone filter I used, but my car didn't seem to like it much.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

Bang for the buck, I'll take the mod I described over the metal tube and cone filter. As to air flow restriction because of the ribbed rubber hose, you are talking MINIMAL at best. As to removing the lower box and to using rubber bands or silicone to hold the filter in place, that's just tacky. Cone filter or opened air box, you are still taking in air from under the hood which is going to be hotter than outside air. Personaly, I've noticed a difference, the sound is impressive and I picked up 1 mpg. If I lost low end torque, I haven't seen it, I can still light 'em up at will and it pulls harder on the top end. If you want cheap ( as in FREE) simple and effective, try it.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

Why go through all the trouble of even cutting the airbox? I have tried all sorts of stuff on my 96Z26, and I found the best results in the quarter mile are LEAVE IT ALONE. By attaching the filter to the top half ot he box, you will allow more air from the hot engine bay into the intake, yes. The problem is it wont be concentrated into the intake- it will be coming from all directions. By keeping it attached to the bottom half, you are guaranteed to have a solid tunnel of air coming in to the intake.
Once it gets in, it has only one place to go.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

Oh so my butt dyno of air box with k&n vs generic conefilter is not inacurate    Cool
Those ridges in that air box arent there for the hell of it.

I can see a cone or hacking up the box if you have other mods or something.
The 3.1mpfi box is like half the size of the 3100. I can see  getting rid of it.

The only thing I though  of doing was drill abt a 2.5 inch hole from the air box into the wheel well. That shouldn't affect its normal operation a whole lot, yet allow you to get a bit more air under high rpms.

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by Guest »

The problem is it wont be concentrated into the intake- it will be coming from all directions. By keeping it attached to the bottom half, you are guaranteed to have a solid tunnel of air coming in to the intake.
Once it gets in, it has only one place to go.    HUH?!?

MAJ28

Air Box Mod 3100

Post by MAJ28 »

Wouldn't it be better in all cases to just cut a hole in the side and run one of those universal mufflers that are about 2.5" up to the grill?  Thus you would gain more at higher speeds, 'ram air'.

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚