Custom coilovers...

Archived topics from the Suspension and Brakes Forum
nocutt

Custom coilovers...

Post by nocutt »

...who are interested, especially the 3800 II swappers, I posted my intentions a couple of days ago and did not get any response (as usual) so I decided to do this for moi...This is a prototype and hopefully the end result should be ready by the end of this week or next (depending on how I feel) I am also in concert with two companies who will make some rear springs for me...I will get some more info on that...(I will have to drive out there and see what they do)...

http://clubs.hemmings.com/fieroswest/Ch ... est/T3.jpg

Chris88CL

Custom coilovers...

Post by Chris88CL »

Im interested, I just dont have the ambition to screw around trying to make myself some custom coilovers right now.  I'd rather save all my money and buy mantaparts.  But by all means, if you can make them cheaper then Im definately interested.
Let me know.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Custom coilovers...

Post by Guest »

Am I understanding you right? You are making a set of adjustable coilovers? Cool! I've been wanting a set of those, but they don't exist. I'm interested if the price is right.
Chris, does Mantapart have adjustable front coilovers?

Chris88CL

Custom coilovers...

Post by Chris88CL »

Their site says they do.  It says you have 4" of chassis adjustment with their coilover "kit".  I emailed them asking exactly what was involved and how much effort it would be for a shadetree mechanic to do and they assured me that there wasnt alot of fabrication involved if any.  But Im sure there would be some welding on atleast the back end to brace the upper and lower shock mounts.  The only bad part is the kit costs $1250 US plus shipping.  
One day tho......

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@Hotmail.com

nocutt

Custom coilovers...

Post by nocutt »

I guess if I were mantapart I will charge a grand for such a setup on a beretta...jeesh!! why GM made this car like they did is beyond me...
Anywayz so far I have gotten to just one "snafu" which is the stock top spring perch...on the beretta and most FWD my guess is that the perch rotates with the spring( or vice versa)...therefore I will have to find a way to do this with the coilover springs...although the diameter is way off (I cannot use the perch this for the coilover springs)...plus the stock spring perch adds about 2.x inches more to the suspension which I (we) do not want...
I will keep those interested updated...Hmmmn now for the rear springs and this vette brakes...

nocutt

Custom coilovers...

Post by nocutt »

UPDATE: I made a custom top spring perch and ended up using another GM vehicle shock bearing plate...I think it turned out great...Now for the rears...hopefully when it is time to put this on the car I don't have a difficult time...enjoy!!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/fieroswest/Ch ... est/T4.jpg

http://clubs.hemmings.com/fieroswest/Ch ... est/T5.jpg

bonecrrusher

Custom coilovers...

Post by bonecrrusher »

hmmm........ how much for these coil overs, are they better than bilsteins and eibachs? plus my struts and shocks are shot  

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
nocutt

Custom coilovers...

Post by nocutt »

lol!! no price yet...sorry!! I had posted a couple of days that anyone intersted should voice their opinion...no replies!! I had six empty strut assemblies (3 pairs) I was going to build them all minus inserts (strut), but since no one replied I just did one...believe me it is a headache but interesting...as far as how good they are I will have to give you that answer when I put the coilovers on the car...I know one thing though it cannot be worse than stock!! what I also learnt is that eibach and whoever makes springs for our vehicles either make 'em too soft or not the height most of us enthusiast will honestly like...if you race your car (competitive or sanctioned)...then I say try to invest in a coilover setup...this is especially for those of us with the 3.8's since the added weight and performance will eventually overwhelm the stock or generic aftermarket suspension available...

Custom coilovers...

Post by Guest »

lets see a price i want e set

Custom coilovers...

Post by Guest »

I'm not exactly sure how the suspension setup works on a beretta but basically it's the same on all cars i think... anyways i just wanted to point out that with coil overs everytime you adjust them you have to get a wheel alignment done.

just a cost factor to consider.

CoolZ26

Custom coilovers...

Post by CoolZ26 »

I didn't think you need to get an alignment done when adjusting heigh to a minimal amount or firmness.  I know you have to get an alignment after you install them..thats just common sense.  But I'm not sure aobut getting an alignment after fine tuning height and dampening.

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483
nocutt

Custom coilovers...

Post by nocutt »

Quote (CoolZ26 @ April 22 2002,3:33)I didn't think you need to get an alignment done when adjusting heigh to a minimal amount or firmness.  I know you have to get an alignment after you install them..thats just common sense.  But I'm not sure aobut getting an alignment after fine tuning height and dampening.
Actually each time you adjust the height whether up or down small or a large increments you will need to re-align the vehicle, but that ain't an issue if you know how to do it...But for the first install you will definately need the aid of a computer (alignment)...as for adjusting the shock/strut no you wouldn't need to play with the alignment...

I decided not to sell this because of several issues...one of 'em been the fact that I had to weld the bottom end of the koni insert to the strut housing...(that was after taking about an inch from the bottom to gain another inch of suspension travel...I have to wait for the rear springs to arrive before I put the whole package together then we shall see how good the vehicle will handle...