Abs issues

Archived topics from the Suspension and Brakes Forum

Abs issues

Post by Guest »

Hey, when I brake at low speeds my ABS tends to cut my brakes in and out with no apparent cause, this only happens at low speeds (under 10) but not always. I just got my left rear cylinder replaced and got the rear shoes and front pads replaced but it is still doing it. The place I brought it to said they thought it was the ABS therefore they couldn't fix it. I've already paid over 300 as it is and it's still just as bad as when they started working on it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had problems like these and maybe any ideas on how to correct them. I really don't want to have the ABS done over for lack of money but at the moment its the only choice. Is there maybe even a way I can dissconnect the ABS and still have the brakes work. Once the car deactivates the ABS on it's own the stopping power is excellent but there is just something wrong with that dang ABS... Please help!

Chris88CL

Abs issues

Post by Chris88CL »

Im not sure if theres a seperate fuse for the ABS but you might want to pull it if there is.  
Check the wiring going to the rear wheel sensors.  Berettas have a habit of wearing through the insulation on the wires and shorting them out.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Abs issues

Post by Guest »

Quote Check the wiring going to the rear wheel sensors.  Berettas have a habit of wearing through the insulation on the wires and shorting them out.

The first time that happened to me it was the wires rubbing....the second time it was just a bad sensor.  Sensors are like 100$ if i remember correctly.

Abs issues

Post by Guest »

Sounds like its worth a try to me. If it's not the wires do I just go to a chevy dealer for the sensor?

Abs issues

Post by Guest »

I did go to a chevy dealership to get the sensor but i also work for a chain dealership that owns both a Ford and a Chevrolet store and that is the only reason, is because of convienence.  You might want to try other autoparts stores first.  They will probably be 10-20 bucks cheaper if they carry them.