Car died while on the highway

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

ok, i am really needing some advice on how to proceed from this point on.  I have changed the CPS and the ignition control module. on top of that i checked all of the coil packs and one of them was reading outside of the acceptable range, so i changed that as well.  It still isn't working!!! Also i had to take the alternator out and while it was out i had it tested just to be safe, it is fine.  

The way i see it, i have two directions i could branch off in. I could "A", begin to look into the fuel system as having a problem, or "B" start to open up the engine and look for internal damage. I can't open up the engine tto much however, since i don't have any way of getting the engine out of the car. I'm thinking that the fuel system is the next logical thing to look into. Check fuel pressure, then the fuel filter, then the pump, then the injectors? does this sound like the right order or not?  

Janus

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

does it have gas in it?

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Post by Guest »

full tank. i filled it just before i went to school and then it died on the way home. might i have gotten a bad batch of gas that completely clogged up the fuel filter? right about now i'm taking partially educated guesses as to what might be the problem.

Janus

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

I would probably say ignition module then. If its not getting spark. If no fuel try testing the fuel pump relay.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Post by Guest »

thats my point. i have already changed both the crank position sensor and the ignition control module as well as one of the coils and none of that fixed my problem. I can hear the fuel pump making the noise it makes when you turn the car on but the engine doesn't seem to want to start.  Fuel pump reley, eh? i'll have to look into that.

Janus

Post by Guest »

It doesn't always help, and I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but did you check the ECM for trouble codes?  I wish I had known how easy it was to retreive them a long time ago.  You just need a paperclip or a small peice of wire stripped at both ends.  Engine Codes
I found this page very helpful, except they don't describe how to do it very well.  The A & B holes they refer to are the last two on the top right of the 12pin connector sticking out of the panel under your dash, just left of center with your steering wheel. ÂÂÂ
Sorry if it's too late to use it, or redundant, but I now have a printout of this page and a peice of wire in my glovebox, and I expect it's gonna come in very, very, handy one day.

Post by Guest »

Ok, so you've changed the cps, and module (was the module new or used?) Have you checked fuel pressure like you mentioned you were going to? Do you have spark when turning the engine over?  I'm wondering, just out of curiousity, have you checked the fuse in the holder on the firewall near the brake booster? It's one lone fuse, in it's own special little holder case. This fuse if removed or blown, it will not allow spark. I used to pull it when I was in an area that I thought the car could get stolen.The is fuse holer is just to the rt of the booster, and the wires are set into a plug arrangement, that you'd think was just another tiny component that a plug goes into. I don't know how else to explain it, but I have seen a picture of it in the haynes book. Once you unlock the typical little plastic clip like found everywhere else on the harnesses, pull down on the plug, and see what the fuse looks like. It should be a 20 amp (yellow).

Post by Guest »

I was not aware of that fuse. I'll look into that.
thanks
Janus