Check coolant light always on

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

MY 94 beretta Std had a heater core  tube leak, all the cooant leaked out and the check engine light came on.  A minute later i got white smoke throught the AC vents. I immediately stopped the car and slowly (stop every  minute and let the engine cool) took it to a mechanic, he bypassed the heater core and the leak was fixed. (I dont need the heater in Florida )
Anyway, now the "check coolant" light does not go off. the engine temperature is always just over quarter.

Any sugestions as to what may have got spoilt ?
can i fix it myself (dont know a lot about cars)?
how much will it cost ?

thanks

Chazzman

Post by Chazzman »

There is a sensor in the coolant overflow jug, try tapping the side of it. It worked for me when i drained it to change a waterpump.

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff  
cramez

Post by cramez »

Flushing the system and replacing the coolant probably wouldn't be a bad idea either, you never really know what may have gotten into the coolant when the heater core broke.  Any kind of sand or dirt would probably be enough to make the sensor in the overflow jug stick and trigger the coolant light.

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=

Post by Guest »

Quote Any kind of sand or dirt would probably be enough to make the sensor in the overflow jug stick and trigger the coolant light. That's not how this type of sensor works, It NEVER has any contact with coolant. Usually, while the car is on, if you unplug the wire from the coolant sensor that slides in from underneath, give it a few seconds, then plug it back in, it'll reset the system.