Electrical problems

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum
Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:50 pm

Ok here is my problem... A couple days ago my car died on me and when we tried to boost it, it would always stall so my father drove my car home. Later we decided to do a voltage check on the battery and alternator. The battery was only reading 12.5 when it was running when it should be higher then that and the alternator was like .545 or something in that range. So I charged the battery and replaced the alternator and the battery and still had the problem so we started to look around and found a broken wire from the alternator to the starter which happened to be the problem so we fixed it and pressto battery is reading a nice 13.59 and so on (never checked the alt, but I am sure it was doing its job). So tonight I have my stereo and lights on and I get to a restaurant and notice my voltage meter is down so I shut the car of and try to restart it but nothing happened. I go in and have my dinner with my friends and come back out to get a boost but the car started without me needing a boost. So I am driving home and turn my stereo, licence plate light, bar light and fog lights on... and look what happens you can see the meter slowly going down. So I know my problem is having all this stuff... but here is why I wondering about it. My battery died like lots of times because of all this... So I really dont think that this stuff is alot to kill my battery. (I am running 2 amps)

Do you think that I need a 140 Amp alternator or should I get a brand new battery (mine can be replace for free for 3 years) ... what else could be wrong... like this sucks..... I didnt think that this was too much stuff to be running....



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:14 am

what size amps are they? You should be fine unless theyre pretty big amps. If you keep draining your battery it wont last very long. Maybe thats what happened to it?



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:47 am

Car batteries do NOT like to be discharged all the way down, espcially not more than once.  They can end up shorting internally, causing an excessive drain on the alternator, which shortens its lifespan and makes for headaches for you.  I had a battery that was shorting out somewhat a few years back.  I could start the car in the morning, drive somewhere 15 minutes away, and it wouldn't start again unless I let it sit untouched for about 3 hours... wieeeeerd.



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:59 pm

Well I had my battery tested at a Canadian Tire and it test good but had a low charge so they are charging my battery for me so hopefully that fixes it. It died lots of time which could be a problem.. The amps are 400 watt and 800 Watt



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:09 pm

Just a few things to think of.....
An deactivated alarm can cause a serious drain if not disconnected from battery power. A malfunctioning horn relay can do the same.
Good Luck!



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:51 am

To me it sounds like you have a constant drain on your battery If I were you I would do a battery drain test and if it is over .050Amps or 50mA than start pulling fuses till it drops search out the problem find it fix it than you may be ok.  It is also possible that it could be something that is only running when the engine is running.  And this is a Beretta so it is also possible that your alternator altough new may still be bad.  Common problem I am on my fifth and my car is stock except that I have a CD player but went through 4 before I put that in.



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:08 pm

The most common cause of your problem is usually a bad fusible link. These cars are full of them--usually 3 or 4 coming off the starter wiring, 3-5 coming off the junction block  on the firewall--check these and I bet your will find a bad one--wehn they get hot they lose connection and once you shut the car off with no connection it will not restart unitl it cools off--I am betting you have a bad one down by the starter--they look like little black tubes about 5-8 inches from the wire ends closest to the starter.



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:52 pm

I have a similar problem. But its only intermittent. could this still be the fusible link?



Guest

Electrical problems

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:11 pm

You could just get a bigger alternator and that help you run all your stuff. I put in a bigger one so i could run two 2400 watt amps to my 4 12's and 2 10's it helped alot and I haven;t had my battery die since.




Return to “Diagnostic Help Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest