Stalling at low rpm's

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Stalling at low rpm's

Post by Guest »

Ok, so since I had my new transmission put in, I've had 2 issues.  1: The differential in the new tranny is the old style without the magnetic patch for magnetic VSS's, thus, no way to get a speedo signal.  2: Engine stalls under very specific conditions.

It stalls when I'm slowing down.  I always downshift to the appropriate gear, and I usually ride each gear down to arround 1500rpm at which point I put in the clutch and it stalls.  It reminds me of a vaccume leak, but I don't know if that's it.  Is there any way that the lack of any signal at all from the VSS is causing it to stall?  The only code my computer is giving me is a 24, "fault in VSS circuit". ÂÂÂ

It idles fine, and the only time it stalls is when I'm braking through the drivetrain and I put in the clutch.  It even seems that if, say, I brake from 2500rpm down to 1500rpm, it's less of an issue than say 4000rpm to 1500rpm.  The more time it spends slowing down in gear, the more prone it is to stalling.  It seems to be the same whether hot or cold.  The clutch is new, and everything else is acting normal, I figure it's prolly that a vaccume line developed a hole while they were swapping trannies, but I'll be damned if I can find the one they hit.

Can someone suggest a better way to find a vaccume leak, or perhaps a reason why this started when it did?  Is my driving style to blame?  I'm pretty sure I should be able to ride it down to 1000rpm without incident, but I AM used to a clutch that slips more...

Oh yeah, I don't know if this is related, the day after I got it back, it stalled as I described and wouldn't start back up.  The starter was operating fine, the fuel pump sounded normal, but when I poped the hood I noted a buzzing noise like a playing card stuck in a fan coming from the fuel rail area which stopped when I turned off the key.  I could feel it at the end of the rail, and after a few key-on key-off's, it stopped buzzing.  I push-started it, and it hasn't happened since.  I blamed that one on fluke, and possibly some water somwhere it shouldn't have been.

Stalling at low rpm's

Post by Guest »

sounds like either a vacuum leak or iac motor problem--but I would take it back to the trans shop and make them put in the correct trans in it. You paid for it to be fixed, not rigged.