Clutch slave cylinder conversion?

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

Ok, I noticed a lot of the newer 5 Speed's are using clutch slave cylinders that fit in behind the throwout bearing where the clutch fork would normally sit.

I need to replace my slave cylinder in my 88 HM282 and I wanted to see if there is a way to swap 'em.

I suppose the master cylinder would need changing also, since I notcied the internal slaves have two hoses, which I don't quite understand why but, what can ya do.

Thanks,
Dave

Chazzman

Post by Chazzman »

Not possible. Besides the external ones
are easy to replace and relatively cheap compared in some internal ones i've seen.

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff  

Post by Guest »

Damn, that sucks.  But, thanks.

I wanted the internal cause I'm trying to clean up the engine bay somewhat, also, mine is dead.  And, I don't like to have to think about stuff like a clutch fork bearing being bad.

Thanks,
Dave

Post by Guest »

The 2 lines for the internal slave cylinder--1 is for the fluid input, the other has a bleeder screw on the end of it so that is may be bled once installed. To convert them you would have to nuts---the internal is such a pain. I have run across quite a few where just the slave cylinder had failed but the clutch was fine, but to replace it you have to drop the trans, rather than the external type you would just replace the slave cylinder and be done with it.

Post by Guest »

Hmm.

Thanks for lettting me know about the lines setup and how one is a bleeder.  I think the plan will be to convert somehow to the internal type when I redo the engine/trans, even if I have to swap a bellhousing or something, I'd liek to find a way to do it cause there won't be much room under the hood.  I have to strip down everything under the hood, even the washer/coolant reservoir is being mounted in the trunk.

I am planning on a turbo setup and I want things to be more like they were 30 years ago, ya know?  When they built cars where you could actually swing a wrench and not just make little baby turns while hurting your hand on something.

I appreciate the help guys.

-Dave

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Wouldnt you just be able to switch to a 92-93 trans with the internal slave cylinders?  Sure you'd need the other hydraulics for the clutch, but if your dropping the engine and trans anyway then you might as well find another trans to build up while you still use your car as a daily driver.

Post by Guest »

Well,

When I'm doing the engine/Trans work on the Beretta I'll be driving the Fiero so, I wont have to worry about a car.  And, why not just reuse the tranny I have, I'm sure it's in decent shape to rebuild from.

I'll keep that in mind though.

Thanks,
Dave