Help, the car won't run right again

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

Wow it's been a while since I've been able to post on here.
There's a little background to the whole situation,so here's the deal.  I just replaced the oil pan gasket on my 3.1.  WE got it all back together and fired it up.  Well at first we didn't see any leaks, so we took it for a ride down the road.  Got back to the garage and looked underneath while it was still running and it was dripping oil like there was no tomorrow.  So we pulled it back into the garage and got looking around.  It wasn't the oil pan gasket that had sprung a leak.  Since GM decided not to change the block when they made the 3.1s, there was a still a hole where the distributer should go.  Well, they just stuck a plug in there with an O-ring to seal it up.  That is what leaked. ÂÂÂ
Now the next step was to get the plug out so we could fix it.  In removing things to get at it we had to remove the fuel lines form the fuel rail and move them.  Well, the fuel rail broke.  Now we have to take the upper plenum off and take off the fuel rail.  Fortunately I had spare intakes from a 2.8 lying around.  We put the new fuel rail on fired it up and it ran fine, but leaked gas, because the fuel rail cut one of the o-rings on the injectors.  Finally after taking it apart about 10 times got it so it wouldn't leak fuel and went to start it.  Now this is where it gets wierd.  It started, but the idle jumped from about 600rpm to 3000rpm back and forth.  Also, whenever you hit the gas, the car revs right up to the red line until you take your foot off the gas.  I pulled the codes, and it gave me code 33, which the book says is the Mass Air Flow sensor.  The thing is, is that there isn't one.  At least not where I would know to look for one, because usually they are between the throttle body and the air filter.
Right now I myself and many others are kind of baffled as to what could be the problem. ÂÂÂ
If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, cause I'm out of ideas.

Post by Guest »

you got that wrong. Code 33 is for the manifold absolute pressure circuit (map) being too high, meaning, you probably left the vacuum line to it off, or tore a hole in the elbow, depending on which configuration you have.