Odd engine  problem

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

ok  hers the situation...........1989 2.8  5 speed.........  get on the highway sometimes and  hit 5th  and hit the gas  and it  is like a miss  ....almost like the engine is bucking........  downshift to 4th and it does it but hit 3rd and get the rpm up and it goes away.........  and it does not always do this

also anyway to test the coil packs....

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

Does the Service Engine Soon light pop on when it starts to act up?  An easy way to test the coil would be take the two plug wires off that go to the coil.  Crank up the car.  There should be a nice white spark jump between the two terminals of the coil pack.  If not the coil is bad.  It could also be the igntion module.  However, the only real way to test it is take it to a shop and have them scope it.  Check the condiction of your plug wires.  If they are old and starting to rott replace them.  When the engine is cold pull one of the front plugs and see what they look like.  This will tell you how well your engine is burning the fuel.

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

plugs  color is good nice light brown..........have  new plug wires on it    champion truck plug ceramic boot ones....... and  bosch +4 plugs and  the check engine like doescomeon but not when it is acting up

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

You can check teh coils without taking them in if you have a simple multimeter.  What you need to do is check the OHMS of teh primary and secondary outputs of the coils.  You need to take them off to do this, but it is very simple to check.  Let me know if you're interested in what the numbers should be, I'd have to look them up.
Basically all you do is read the ohms, and if it is between x and y, they're good, if not, they're bad.
let me know and I'll look them up for you.
I did this on my '94 Z26 to check them, saved me about $150!

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

I would say coil pack or module definetely--very common faulire and syptom:)

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

yeah         it would be great if you could get me the    #;s   for the coils   thanks!

Odd engine  problem

Post by Guest »

sorry to have waited so long to repost,
the OHMS on the primary leads should read less than 1 ohm, and on tehsecondaries should read about 8,000.
The secondary side is where you hook up the plug wires
hope this helps.
Also, bad ones are around 5000 OHMS just to note