ESC Failure 43 Code

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

ESC Failure 43 Code

Post by Guest »

Hey there im new to this site, my friend and I have been working on his 89 Beretta GT for some time now.  When hooked up to a scanner it gives a ESC Failure 43 Fault Code.  I guess it has something to do with the knock sensor maybe? We just changed out the O2 Sensor.  Could you please tell me what it is and how to fix it? Thanks,
Jim Prokash

ESC Failure 43 Code

Post by Guest »

ESC is an acronym for "Electronic Spark Control" and refers to the ignition system retarding the ignition timing when an engine knock is detected. Some cars have a separate ESC controller. Others have this function built into the ignition module or ECM. I don't know which your motor has.

The ECM in your car performs a "self-test" on the ESC system once per engine is started if conditions permit the test. Under certain conditions, the ECM advances the ignition timing to generate a spark knock. If no knock is detected during the self test, code 43 is stored in memory.

This code means no knock was detected, but should have been. Unless you also have a code 42, possible causes for a code 43 are:

Bad knock sensor
Open circuit or poor connection between knock sensor and ESC module
Poor connection or open ground circuit at ESC module  
No 12V power supply to ESC module  

One general test for the ESC system is to tap on the engine or exhaust manifold near the knock sensor. If the engine speed momentarily drops (very slight, you have to pay attention to notice it), then the system is responding to detected engine knock as it should. If the car passes this test, the problem is intermittent, and probably due to a poor connection somewhere.

Hope this helps, most of this info was obtained from a corvette website.

ESC Failure 43 Code

Post by Guest »

We installed a SunPro tach a couple months ago, you dont suppose when we were working we grounded out the tach wire somewhere and that could cause the check engine light and maybe a 43 code do you??
Jim

ESC Failure 43 Code

Post by Guest »

I had this problem the prom module was bad. I replaced it and the light never came on again. No more code 43 and poor acceleration.

ESC Failure 43 Code

Post by Guest »

It appears it was just a bad knock sensor.  40 bucks over at Auto Zone.  Was a little ockward to get out i might add.  But after that no SES light or nothing.
Jim Prokash