Fuel injector cleaning?

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Fuel injector cleaning?

Post by Guest »

I'm still trying to locate the problem that is causing my car to miss.  It idles rough (but doesn't die) and has a steady miss when I try to drive it.  It is a 93 Beretta with a 3.1L that I did a valve job on, new spark plug wires, plugs, PCV, air filter, fuel filter.  I've checked for vacuum leaks and cleaned the TB and IAC by the instructions in another post.

My question is, if it is a fuel injector problem, will running some fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank help or should I remove the injectors have them cleaned?  Is there any way to isolate which injector might me bad?

Thanks - Jim

Fuel injector cleaning?

Post by Guest »

before you went through all this trouble of valve jobs and wires etc, did you have the skipping problem then? This just seems to have the ring of a bad coil or cps, or module. I would start by making sure you had spark at every cylinder first, you may find you have one that is without spark, elliminate that issue first, then move on from there. No point in just guessing and wasting money trying things in hopes it cures the problem along the way.  

Fuel injector cleaning?

Post by Guest »

I got the car from a neighbor and it wasn't driveable.  It had water in the oil so I had to do the initial work on the car to get it running.

The coils are also one of the areas I want to check.  Is there a good way to try to isolate which plug is having problems?  Since each coil fires 2 plugs at a time I wasn't sure the correct approach to isolating the problem.

Thanks - Jim

Fuel injector cleaning?

Post by Guest »

Hey JCZ26, it turned out it was the ignition module.  All the plugs where getting spark but after running it awhile I checked all the plugs and found that 3 & 6 had some residue that looked like the fuel wasn't burning correctly.  Must have been a week coil driver because the new ignition module fixed it right up.