Hood release cable.

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Hood release cable.

Post by Guest »

I went to pop my hood today and I pulled the thing and bam the cable snapped. Isn't there a kit someplace where I get a whole new cable and whatever else? I can still see the cable, hasn't fully gone through the firewall there. Any suggestions?I was thinking of just bringing it to my mechanic and having him solve the problem..

Hood release cable.

Post by Guest »

you can buy the entire new cable from the dealer for about 30$ and install it in about an hour

Hood release cable.

Post by Guest »

I had the same thing happen and it only takes about 30 minutes to re-run the cable and attach it. The hardest part is going over the fenderwall through the little tube it fits in.

Hood release cable.

Post by Guest »

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago...got a whole used one out of a '96 base model for 5 bucks at a local junkyard.  It wasn't very hard to replace at all, I'd recommend trying to do it yourself if you want to save some money.  The only hard thing is pulling the wire through the firewall,...just pull hard and it'll pull through.

Hood release cable.

Post by Guest »

Its not hard to replace at all. Actually, I just replaced mine this afternoon. It took me about 45 minutes to install it. All you have to do is go to a local junkyard or go to your local GM dealer's parts store and tell them you need a hood release cable for your Beretta. I bought mine from a GM dealer for about $17.00. Now when you pull out the old broken cable, make sure you put the new on in the same way so everything works properly. Now when you get to the firewall, just pull back the tar-like substance and when you put the new cable one, make sure you feed through from the inside, so the hole will be sealed by the new rubber thing on the cable release. When you're done, just push the tar-like substance back around the seal, and you should be fine.