High end revs

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

High end revs

Post by Guest »

im sure everyones car does this, but when i floor my car in either neutral or park, the revs go up and then it kind of gallops so to speak. im sure its the governor or somethin, but i wanted to know if there was any way to free up those high end revs...sort of like when dragsters do a neutral drop and the revs just stay steady before they drop it into first...?

High end revs

Post by Guest »

Yeah, it's the rev limiter.  You'd need a performance chip to get rid of it.  But remember, it's there for a reason....

High end revs

Post by Guest »

ya i dont wanna burn out my engine lol. would an FFP or mantaparts chip lift this limiter a little??

wicked-irocz

High end revs

Post by wicked-irocz »

if you are talking about reving it up and droping it into drive on an automatic you are going to break something.  The way dragracers do it is they put it in first, hold the brake down, raise the rpms to where they want, and let go of the brake and floor it at the same time.  This gives you torque multiplycation (probably wrong spelling) and a great take off.  Usually they have high rpm torque converters though.  I wouldn't recommend doing this up to a very high rpm with a stock converter.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
wicked-irocz

High end revs

Post by wicked-irocz »

another thing, the reason its (the governor) there is that under no load an engines valves will float if there is to much rpm causing accelerated wear between the valve, rocker arm, pushrod, and sometimes cam.  It also causes major engine breakdown if the valve floats enough to hit the piston.  Also, valve float can cause the valve seat to wear excessivly.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

High end revs

Post by Guest »

thanx 4 the info also, does neone know the stock hp for a '96 base model 3100??

wicked-irocz

High end revs

Post by wicked-irocz »

I believe it is 160.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

High end revs

Post by Guest »

yeah these cars dont have very high redlines, its not good to run them that hard all the time, I have floored my car lke from a stop, but never in neutral, that scares the hell out of me.

3100SFI

High end revs

Post by 3100SFI »

Quote (bigplate @ Mar. 17 2003,19:30)thanx 4 the info also, does neone know the stock hp for a '96 base model 3100??
155 @ the flywheel.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle