Windsheild creaking

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Windsheild creaking

Post by Guest »

When I drive, the windshield creaks on the passenger side when you hit a bump or something.  Anyone else had this problem? I have an 89 GT.  I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the dash could be a little loose and may need tightening...

Windsheild creaking

Post by Guest »

the windshield is not attached to the dash. If you push up on the window from the inside on the passanger side, does the window move at all.  You may need it resealed,

Windsheild creaking

Post by Guest »

I have a 90 GTZ and the interior creaks every time I hit a bump.  Over time the sun breaks down the vinyl and the glue.  The dash and door skins begin to warp and come apart.  The only solution that I have found is to turn the stereo up.  I'm not about to tear apart my dash to fix a little squeak.
I doubt that your winshield is loose.  The stuff they use to stick it on there is very sticky.  Unless you are getting puddles inside your car everytime it rains, I doubt the winshield is the problem.

Windsheild creaking

Post by Guest »

I had this SAME EXACT problem with my 89 GT.  And just the other day I fixed it!  I thought all along that it was something with the windshield seal, but NO!  It was the MOULDING along the passenger side of the windshield.  Here's what I did: I took off the moulding (very easy since there are only four screws holding it in--and you have the pull off the door seal that is attached to it).  I noticed that the moulding is actually metal with a plastic coating, but around the screw holes it was rusted.  Next I took a wet rag and cleaned off the pillar (what the windshield adheres to) and the edge of the windshield to remove any chunks of rust and loose dirt.  I washed the moulding really good with soap and water.  Last, I put it back together, making sure the screws were nice and snug, and Voila!  No more creaking!  I was and am very happy! ÂÂÂ

Try it...hopefully this will take care of your problem.  If you have any screws missing, replace them so the moulding isn't allowed any room to shift and make that noise.

Mike

cold_pyro

Windsheild creaking

Post by cold_pyro »

The other night my rear windsheild was creaking because I ran it thru the quickee car wash before going out.  Freezing temperatures will do that.  But being that it's a constant problem for you then it may not be that..