Replacing starters

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
MAJ28

Replacing starters

Post by MAJ28 »

(Here is one of my yearly contributions to the faq section... enjoy.)

-I thought this would be good for someone like me to explain to first timers, because until yesterday I'd never done this before.

Locate the Starter:  This will likely be located right next to your oil filter, and towards the front end from your oil pan.  Initially you won't see the whole starter just a large black cylindrical thing.  That's because an 8"(approx) piece of plastic called the Flywheel Cover is covering part of it.

Remove the Flywheel cover:  This piece of plastic is likely to have 3 screws in it.  They should come out easily.

-You now see the whole starter and part of the flywheel.  You will notice connected to the rear of the starter(towards the oil filter, there are two leads or connections.  One is a small connection with one wire on it.  The other is a large connection with three wires on it.  They are very difficult to mix up.  DON'T TOUCH THEM UNLESS THE BATTERY IS ABSOLUTELLY NOT CONNECTED.  They will literally melt if they touch while connected.  Not to mention it won't help YOU any.

Remove those wires:  This is where it may get difficult.  The space between the Oil filter and the starter is very small.  The easiest way i hate to say, is to change your oil at the same time.  That filter could and may be the biggest pain ever.  Assuming the filter is still in, you can loosen the bolts with a Ratchet wrench.  Then you need to manuever the finger to take off the wires.  (Note:  The wires are circular around the connections,  you can't just pull them&#33

Remove the starter:  The Starter will have two large bolts holding it in.  Mine were around 5/8"(stock).  Be careful when you remove these, the starter is heavy.  With the oil filter in you may have to wiggle it to get it out after the bolts are removed.

Shims:  This is important,  note the thickness and placement of the shims on the old starter.  Shims are little slabs of metal that are used to keep the starter just the right distance from the flywheel.  If the distance is bad then the flywheel or the starter will be damaged.  Use the old shim(s) if you can.

Install new starter:  Reverse of other steps.  Remember that the bolt sizes for the wire connections may not be the same size.  So don't lose them.

Good Luck, and get a clean start..

Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Replacing starters

Post by Guest »

On the Quad 4 you have to take the intake manafold off. Then the starter is right underneath it. Here is a picture provided by Dante.

Replacing starters

Post by Guest »

Thank you; Thank you...

Guess that's why I take so many pictures... So people can use them as reference

Replacing starters

Post by Guest »

lol,  bolts sizes for my 3.1 indy..

to remove the plastic flywheel cover, - 10 mm

to remove the starter,  - (not entire sure which,...) 13 mm or 15 mm,  leaning towrds 15 mm though

to remove oil pan, - deep well 10 mm

the shim is VERY important.... i left mine out (unintentionally, because it was under my cloth i was laying on and i didn't see it come out anyways)  if you don't have this in place, then when you go to start it will make a loud, NOT normal whiny noise... trust me..

FYI, you have to least lower the starter to remove the oil pan bolts, two are "hidden " by the starter.  

(my original mission was to replace the oil pan gasket,... turned into my nightmare when i didn't know/couldn't figure out about the shim for the starter)

i would have liked to remove hte oil pan completely off the car to clean it really good, buti would have had to tdrop the lower part of the susension down to get it off.... so i just fished the new gasket on, and put everything back together.

Replacing starters

Post by Guest »

Hi. My starter unbolted. i tought the clutch was scrap because it was making scary sound in this area, and when i got under the car, I saw that the long bolt was loose, and the short one was missing. but the starter was working when it was losse, and now that I bolted it, it won't spin, just click. please help me

berettajeep

Replacing starters

Post by berettajeep »

Quote (NicLT @ July 14 2002,2:28)Hi. My starter unbolted. i tought the clutch was scrap because it was making scary sound in this area, and when i got under the car, I saw that the long bolt was loose, and the short one was missing. but the starter was working when it was losse, and now that I bolted it, it won't spin, just click. please help me
missing shims?

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Replacing starters

Post by Guest »

the shim was there. it work now, but it do a sound that it shouldn't do at the end of starting. I first started my car by pushing it in reverse, after that, it worked ok. I just hope nothing get damaged

Replacing starters

Post by Guest »

are all of your starter gear teeth still okay, not damaged or missing???  you may want to check the teeth on the flywheel too... that coul dmake a nasty noise when starting.

steph