Where to start

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
Lothurin

Where to start

Post by Lothurin »

I got a 90 GTZ, it hasn't been on the road in the last 2 years. atm it needs a new dash, front bumper (lower facia) needs fixing, needs paint, suspension is shot and so is the exhaust. the interior needs minor work, mostly dash like i said and center concole (which i might replace with a 91+ center concole) any one have a good idea on where to start this project?

and yes the motor will get new oil, filters, plugs and a good cleaning first.

this will not be a weekend thing, it will take a good year or so to get her back in shape being in school and paying off bills still.

Lothurin

Lothurin

Where to start

Post by Guest »

As someone else who is in school and trying to get bills paid..... i hear ya when you say that it will be a slow process. I don't know if you have another car to be driving in the meantime, but i my personal method of handling this would be to do the mechanical stuff first. Take care of the suspension and the exhaust, give the engine a good tune up. At that point the car would be at least road worthy if you needed it to be.  The dash and bumper i would suggest searching out junk yards. Since you are intending on giving the car a new coat of paint,  the bumper doesn't even have to be the same color to begin with. As far as the paint job is concerned..... are you planning on just fixing up some peeled and rusted spots or are you going to go for a more custom type paint job (ex: whole new color, desisigns, srips, etc.)?

But yeah, thats just my $.02 worth.

hope that is of some sort of help,

Janus

Lothurin

Where to start

Post by Lothurin »

I do have a second car, cause i'm trying to sell my 90 base, i'm driving my parents car. so the car don't need to be road ready right away. the gtz is currently black, i'd like to change the color. and been thinkin of changing the GFX out totally.

Lothurin

Lothurin
Canada

Where to start

Post by Canada »

I like Janus idea, get it in machanically good condition first, this helps out a lot. You may need the car and it makes it a lot easier to move adn such. Also, when you are working on the suspension, you wouldn't want to scratch your new paint.

As far as the dash and stuff goes, Canadian Chris (Chris88CL), basically pioneered this. There are a lot of topics about this, and I'm sure he'd be willing to help out.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
1988GTU

Where to start

Post by 1988GTU »

Motor/trans then suspension then body...

_________
-------------