Cracked radiator

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Cracked radiator

Post by Guest »

I recently found out that my coolant was leaking, my radiator is cracked:

How I know it's cracked, coolant all over underside of car \|/

How hard is it to replace one's radiator? Anything to pay a lot of attention too ?

berettajeep

Cracked radiator

Post by berettajeep »

Not hard at all
Just be careful when you put the fan back in after the new rad is in.
AND DONT DROP ANY BOLTS OR TOOLS that would suck cause you know it will hit the rad.

And if you can, replace the hoses,thermostat.

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Cracked radiator

Post by Guest »

Replacing the radiator is not a big deal I am doing my 94 z26 right now. You have to drain it,  Remove the air intake if you have a four cylinder. Disconect the hoses. remove the fan. disconect the Transmission fluid cooling lines if yours is an automatic. (The only part I found ackward was getting to the lower line to remove it. Remove the two retaining bolts at the top. A little screws on each side of the center of the radiator holds the AC condensor in place. Access through grill. once all that is done it should tilt inward toward the motor and lift right out.
Be very careful of the AC condensor conections at the top. Try not to bend the pipes they could crack.  It might sound like a lot but it is a logical progression that you will see as you  get into it. It is a messy job dealing with the antifreeze. don't leave puddles of it or drip pans with coolant in them if you have pets. Dog and cats think it smells sweet and drink it which will poison them.
Have fun,
Junkyard

Cracked radiator

Post by Guest »

hehe, i don't mind if it leaks, we have a dog, wont let it go near it. There are cats that like to crawl on my beretta, so let them ####ing drink it, BASTIDS !

Cracked radiator

Post by Guest »

can anyone tell me what that black piece on the side is? I don't believe i have to replace the whole radiator. Just that piece.

Cracked radiator

Post by Guest »

Brian, will you please? Quote can anyone tell me what that black piece on the side is? I don't believe i have to replace the whole radiator. Just that piece.Give us a break, thats the radiator man, you can't buy the side tank on a radiator!!! You've been hanging with sasquatch too much, and driv'in route 30, do I have to come up to VT and slap you?  Smart a$$, wants to change the tank..... New rad from A/Z is only 175 at the most, I just put one in 2 weeks ago...... Com'on, don't be a cheap dick, buy a new one, and get it over with.

Cracked radiator

Post by Guest »

I don't want too !

Gunna have it looked at, see if it can be replaced.
If that part can be replaced I'll replace just that, but if I have to buy a new radiator I'll do that.