Switch from maf to iat?

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by Guest »

hey i have a 2.8 manual with the maf (mass air flow sensor) and i was just wondering if it was possible to change that sensor to the iat (intake air temp). I'm looking intot his because the maf restricts a lot of air flow so i was just wondering if this is possible thanks in advance,
warren

wicked-irocz

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by wicked-irocz »

if you want higher flow without the pain of switching to iat you could get a big bore throttle body from http://www.mantapart.com/  or FDP http://www3.sympatico.ca/fjpeters/ or http://rsmracing.com/beretta.htm

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
TurboGTU

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by TurboGTU »

The only real ristriction I see is the screen on the maf. You could physicly remove it to try and improve on air flow. But that might deminish the air hitting the maf heat element since that screen was ment to guide the air to the heat element.

Your best bet would be the stock paper air filter which is a big ristriction. You would need a free flow one-more likely a cold air one.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by Guest »

It is possible, maybe not feasable.  You could always get a stand alone ECU and have the intake machined to house a MAT/IAT and MAP sensor.  That's spending a lot of money for a little gain though.

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by Guest »

well all the work done on my car i do my self. see the restriction is at the maf because its going from my cone filter which has a large output to a smaller tube and than back to a hose. the air isn't consistant through the hole intake system. but my car also has this speed density chip in it whats with that? i heard its has something to do with the maf but i'm not too sure.

z284pwr

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by z284pwr »

I've done it....look up the '88 GT CRX intake topic, and you'll find it all in there....yes it does work, no I don't have any Engine Light Problems, no crappy running car problems either....and I did it myself...and I don't even think my car has the SD software either :rock:

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by Guest »

What type of sensor is it? A Hot wire, Carmon vortex or a vane? I wonder if you could use a sensor off of a different GM car. Katie’s GA uses a hot wire and it is 3" through the middle.

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by Guest »

The question is if it is worth it. The 2.8 really doesn’t flow that much and I bet the TB is the same size or smaller then the MAF.

Canada

Switch from maf to iat?

Post by Canada »

I don't know how the older engines are, but my OBD-II has MAF and IAT sensors......as well as MAP.....

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta