Door windows

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Door windows

Post by Guest »

Hey guys (and girls),

I'm right in the middle of doing the body work on my 91 Z and I can't figure out how to remove the glass from the doors. I looked in the manual and man do they make it sound easy. Their way doesn't seem to work for me. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Door windows

Post by Guest »

I need to know how to put one in!!

Door windows

Post by Guest »

Well aren't we a pair.

I'm sure someone will save us!

Chris88CL

Door windows

Post by Chris88CL »

CAREFULLY punch and drill out the two rivets clamping the glass into the window regulator.  Remove the window FRAME (weatherstrip thingy around the top and sides), then wiggle the glass out.  It really isnt hard.

Door windows

Post by Guest »

So I actually have to drill out the two rivits in the slider? Who thought this frickin idea up? Oh well what has to be done has to be done right?

Thanks Chris

Chris88CL

Door windows

Post by Chris88CL »

Usually thats what needs to be done.  Theres a FEW cars that have bolts.......but not many.

Door windows

Post by Guest »

Gee Chris, I always unbolted the frt track from the door, unbolted the 2 nuts from the glass to the reg, pulled up on the rear portion of the weatherstrip, and got it out of the rear track, drop the glass down to the bottom of the inside of the door, and out of the rear track. I then ease it out by the top rear corner. No cutting, breaking, or blood!!!!

Door windows

Post by Guest »

i have power windows and i was looking down in the door and there are no bolts, rivets or any kind of attachment to the glass. it looks like it just sits on a rubber pad and uses the track on the front and back of the door frame to hold it in place, is this right? its and 88

Door windows

Post by Guest »

and how does it stay in place in the front? on a track, and how is the track mounted? with 2 bolts with 10mm headed bolts. 87 to 96 all the same.  

Kevskate99

Door windows

Post by Kevskate99 »

Yep, I was gonna say the same thing. I know JCZ26 has taken these out (including all the glass when he got his car painted). And I have done the same also.

Door windows

Post by Guest »

I got it out, no drilling required. Did the exact thing JC was discribing.

Thanks guys

Door windows

Post by Guest »

my tracks just slide out, I dont understand where the bolts and stuff come into play
i didnt take the window out my-self it was broken out, and i slid the tracks out with my hand by pushin them all the way to bottm and then they came out

Door windows

Post by Guest »

Quote (nfg2003 @ Feb. 03 2003,22:58)my tracks just slide out, I dont understand where the bolts and stuff come into play
i didnt take the window out my-self it was broken out, and i slid the tracks out with my hand by pushin them all the way to bottm and then they came out
You're not talking about the rubber weatherstripping are you? After the interior trim, and the plastic water barrier protector is off the door, you'll see the 2 bolts near the front of the door. They are about 12 inches apart from one another, one over the other. Removing them removes the front track. Of course you have to have pull the weatherstrip out of it. I don't even take the track out of the door, I just let it lay on the bottom, too much work to get it out and back in. ÂÂÂ

Door windows

Post by Guest »

Oh i see, your syaing the track housing is mounted to the door, right?
That will make it easier to get it all back in the right way. let me knoe if i got this right.
track housing bolts to the door, track is connected to the window.

Door windows

Post by Guest »

track is inside the front of the door, it is bolted with 2 bolts. Drop the glass down to the bottom of the door after it is unbolted from the regulator. The glass comes out at an angle, rear top corner first.