How to remove fpr and change inject.

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

Today I have another interesting topic that I feel you might learn from:

How to remove the Fuel Pressure Regulator and How to change fuel injectors.  Specific to the 3.1(probably 2.8 also).

This isn't extremelly complicated, but you should investigate before you act... always.

First, the fuel pressure Regulator

1.  The Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) is the part of the fuel system that regulates the pressure of the fuel in the fuel rails.  The fuel rails are what delivers fuel to the fuel injectors. ÂÂÂ

2.   To start make sure the car is totally cool.  Obtain an open ended 16mm(I believe) wrench.  Without the proper wrench removing the FPR can be very difficult.  Also obtain a fuel line disconnect tool (or what name it goes by).  Without this things can be a big pain too.  You may want some latex gloves if you're concerned about getting gas all over you.

3.   The FPR is a square item that is located between the fuel rails, it is the part that has the shrader valve on it that can be used to determine if pressure is getting to the rails. ÂÂÂ

4.   Now to work:  To make things easier (a lot easier), remove the airbox, disconnect the TB from the upper manifold(held in by 2 bolts), diconnecting the TB coolant lines would be helpful(but not necessary), also the TB sensor wires get in the way too.

5.  Now take the Fuel line disconnect tool and disconnect the one line that connects to the (metal) line.  This is where you get gas all over the place.  But once you lift up the rubber line, the gas will stop coming out.  You will get excess gas out of the FPR though.

6.  Then take the 16mm wrench and take off the side of the rail.  The metal line will now be loose.  But DON'T pull it out, it is still connected.  ÂÂÂ

7.  Underneath where the TB normally is, is a small bracket with one screw holding the fuel line there.  Remove the bracket, be careful not to drop the screw or the bracket(in that area of the engine you might not get it back). ÂÂÂ

8.  Now the front metal line should be totally free to be removed.

9.  Now you can use a 10mm socket wrench to remove the 4 bolts that hold the fuel lines in and gently but firmly you can pull the injectors and rails out with the FPR attached....   OR
...you can use a star bit (I believe) and remove the FPR seperatelly (sp?), either way you might as well remove the injectors and test them and clean them while your there.

I'm not an expert testing FPR's, but this is how you'd remove and replace one...

10.  Once you replace the FPR you may want to use the shrader valve to get the air out of the lines.  Turn your key forward, but DO NOT START and then press in the shrader valve until all the air is relieved - don't get fuel in your eye.

Good luck....»

-Jason ÂÂÂ

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Post by Guest »

Excellent info.