Wierd electrical problem

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
Chris88CL

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Chris88CL »

Ok heres the problem....
Kelseys 96 Z26 is having some electrical issues.  
First thing is the ABS light is on.  Its not flashing codes, its just on steadily.  The radio time resets everytime the car is turned on or off and the stations reset aswell.  The dome light wont turn on, and neither will the warning chimes for the headlights or key in the ignition.  I checked fuse #9 which should control all these things, and it didnt appear to be blown.  I didnt try replacing it, but I probably should anyway.
Anyone else have any other ideas what it could be?
I just installed the speedhut indiglo gauges.  Im hoping thats not the problem.  The gauges work great and look amazing.  Its just these wierd little things now.  I'll replace the fuse tommorow...but any other ideas in the meantime?

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Guest »

Did you check the grounds?

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Guest »

Ha! I know what it is, but be careful where you stick your hand, you might find some old deer meat in there!!!!

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Guest »

I have the same ABS problem. But ive never had my ABS breaks kick in on me, so im assuming they just dont work.

88GTRacer

Wierd electrical problem

Post by 88GTRacer »

Those ABS sensors are probably dirty and need to be cleaned or replaced.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."
Chris88CL

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Chris88CL »

Eric: which grounds are you talking about?  Theres a zillion behind the dash.  I had to mess with the headlight switch ground to install the gauges, but they work fine.  Other then that nothing should have changed.  

Adidas: if the ABS light is on, then it means your ABS system has been completely disabled.  Same with the airbag light.  If its on, the system is inactive.  Thats why your ABS brakes havent ever come on.

John: Funny.  This should be an interior problem though.  All I've done to the exterior so far is plugs, wires, tranny filter, foglight bulb etc.  Nothing that should have caused these problems.

If anyone else has any other ideas for me please speakup.

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Guest »

I don't think the abs light and the interior lights are related in this problem.  When you installed the guages I bet the "pink box" tripped and that is her problem.  I had the same problems you described except no abs light, not sure if my station presets were erased all the time or not..

Here is some more detail: pink box problem

Good luck

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Guest »

Quote John: Funny.  This should be an interior problem though.  I try! Thing is, that this might be an issue that has been a long time coming from the accident. Anyway, the guages.... you replaced the entire cluster?

ErichZ26

Wierd electrical problem

Post by ErichZ26 »

I believe i know your problem.   Check the cluster circuit board that is behind, its probably kinked or pinched or dammaged.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Guest »

Quote (ErichZ26 @ Mar. 28 2003,23:11)I believe i know your problem.  Check the cluster circuit board that is behind, its probably kinked or pinched or dammaged.
Thats why I asked if the entire cluster was replaced, it may be messed up if it wasn't hers to begin with.

Chris88CL

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Chris88CL »

No its the same cluster she has always had.  I dont think the cluster itself is damaged.  It sounds like that pink box is the culprit.  I'll let you all know.  We are going back to the JY tommorow so I'll grab a pink or tan box when Im there.

Chris88CL

Wierd electrical problem

Post by Chris88CL »

Problem solved.  Simple fuse blown ;)  Decided to go out and buy a test light since I have no tools here and sure enough, fuse #11 was blown.